PDA

View Full Version : Royal Penguin at the beach

Ian Wilson
05-11-2014, 08:58 PM
This image was captured on Sandy Bay beach, Macquarie Is, Australian sub-Antarctic, on an overcast afternoon, 5 January 2014. Behind the beach on the hillside was a colony of Royal Penguins numbering about 100,000 birds. Birds were constantly coming and going from the colony providing wonderful photo opportunities.
Canon 5DIII + 300 mm f/2.8L II, 600EX-RT flash with Better Beamer, Gitzo 3532LS, Kirkphoto King Cobra gimbal.
Manual, f/10, 1/200 sec, ISO 200, 1/8 flash power.
Processed in DPP: crop, adjust WB, shad/h'lights, saturation, USM, RAW-TIFF. PS Elements: brightened face, removed slight blue cast in background to achieve neutral grey, removed piece of sea-weed bottom right, downsized for output, USM.
Thanks for looking, critical feedback welcome.

Sidharth Kodikal
05-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Excellent exposure and IQ, Ian. Great job with the flash and the processing. Very nice work.

christopher galeski
05-11-2014, 11:05 PM
very nice,good IQ and pose.

Leigh Cojocar
05-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Hi Ian, Great picture of a beautiful penguin.

Quick question, how do you go about getting to Macquarie Island? I am currently living in Melbourne and would be interested in visiting if I have enough time.

Ian Wilson
05-12-2014, 05:25 AM
Hi Ian, Great picture of a beautiful penguin.

Quick question, how do you go about getting to Macquarie Island? I am currently living in Melbourne and would be interested in visiting if I have enough time.
Hi Leigh, Thanks for your positive feedback. I am not sure if this is the right place for trip planning so I will send you a private email using the BPN member's contact details. Regards, Ian.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Wonderful indeed. On all counts. And you gotta love overcast. Stunning bird and image. Wings out a huge plus. Face detail and colors are incredible but face may have been brightened a tad too much. Low perspective is very nice. There are three small spots that need to go. One just inside the bird's left wing and two more on the left frame edge about 1/3 of the way up. Lovely as it is, a bit more head turn would have made it even better.

Assuming that this was a ship-based trip whom did you travel with?

Ian Wilson
05-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Assuming that this was a ship-based trip whom did you travel with?[/QUOTE]

Hi Arthur, Thanks for your helpful feedback. I traveled with the NZ company Heritage Expeditions www.heritage-expeditions.com They use a small Russian oceanographic research ship that accommodates up to 50 paying guests. Regards, Ian

gail bisson
05-12-2014, 06:20 AM
This is a terrific image.
Just love the subject and the clean sand.
I could see this as a vertical as well.
Beautifully exposed as well,
Gail

Arthur Morris
05-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Assuming that this was a ship-based trip whom did you travel with?

Hi Arthur, Thanks for your helpful feedback. I traveled with the NZ company Heritage Expeditions www.heritage-expeditions.com (http://www.heritage-expeditions.com) They use a small Russian oceanographic research ship that accommodates up to 50 paying guests. Regards, Ian[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. Me thinks that I need to get there before they put me in the box....

Stu Bowie
05-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi Ian, After shooting African Jackass Penquins in Cape Town this last december, this fellow is very attractive with the colourful head and beak. Super pose, and good use of flash - looks very subtle. Maybe a little more space below. :w3

vishaljadhav
05-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Lovely one, i love the details

Binu John
05-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Fabulous shot, Ian! Love the colors, pose and IQ! Thanks for sharing this wonderful shot!

Karl Egressy
05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Great looking bird and a very nice image, Ian.

Jim Crosswell
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
I like the low light, sharpness, pose, details and composition. Excellent image Ian!

Ian Wilson
05-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Many thanks to all who offered feedback on this image - much appreciated. Regards, Ian