PDA

View Full Version : Prothonotary warbler

Ron Conlon
05-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Magee Marsh, Ohio. The prothonotary warblers here seem to relish the paparazzi, and preen and perform at close range, frustrating the long lenses. Having seen this previously, I packed a 200mm, knowing that unlike other warblers, this one would give me the time to switch lenses. T2i, 200mm, f/2.8, 1/1600s, two out of focus leaves removed.

Satish Ranadive
05-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Beautiful image Ron.
Very nice pose, HA, colors and tack sharp head.
You could have used f6.3 or above in order to avoid OOF back and wings of the warbler.
I would add more space at bottom and LHS and crop some on top.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Perfect exposure, nice detail and interesting pose. Well done.

Ron Conlon
05-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks Karl and Satish. I am an admirer of both your work. Thanks for the suggestions for improvement of composition and I do wish I had thought to go with more DOF, Satish, I had the light (ISO 400, which I neglected to mention).

Sidharth Kodikal
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Beautiful warbler and nice sharpness and exposure. Good advice above re. comp and DOF. These warblers are so jumpy, so I think you made a good call on the SS. What was your ISO?
I see a green fringe along parts of the tail, wings and a bit of the perch. Not sure if this is some chromatic aberration or an artifact of post processing.
Nice image and keep them coming Ron.

Ron Conlon
05-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks Sidharth. ISO 400, so plenty of light. The green fringe in places likely is coming from out-of-focus leaves. There were some quite distant leaves in the background, some of which were largely burned out by the exposure and some by me in post. I didn't take a lot of care in cleanup, so the green close to foreground objects are probably due to my cursory burning.