PDA

View Full Version : Matilda Magic

Don Railton
05-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Hi Guys

Not been able to get out with the camera lately.. I am knee deep with 'jobs' calling for my spare time along with a mother in law that is quite sick...(ie photograph time = Zip..) So I have found an image that I shot about 18 months ago early one sunrise. Its as close as I can get to an image shot in the 'Blue Hour' called for by Pao couple of images ago.. This is a time where I love to shoot also...however sunrises can be cold in winter, or very early in summer..

So this is pre dawn, Matilda Bay, on the banks of the Swan river and very close to where Catalina Flying boats had a base during the second world war. The City is Perth, in Western Australia. I have a stitched Pano of this scene, this is a bit out of the center. Self critique is that there is a little noise in the sky and a hint of posterisation in the lower FG which I have crudely tried to fix... I plan to reprocess this image from scratch as I believe I know more know than I did when this was initally processed.

I used:
1D4 & 24 to 70 F 2.8 @ 50mm and on a tripod.
30 sec @ F16, ISo 250

Processed in CS4 but dont remember much else...

DON

Dave Mills
05-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi Don, Beautiful time of day along with an interesting foreground element. IMO the branches on top of the image is not helping.It's busy and not really framing anything.The clump of leaves on the rt that is either flashed or lit by another source seems out of place and pulls the eye there. I would definately clone out the small group of leaves that are clipped on the upper left and the boat thats clipped on the far rt. Originally I would of cropped out about 40% of the sky with no leaves. Lends itself to more of a pano look....

Don Railton
05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for your most welcome and respected comments. I will have to admit that the overhead branch was element in this I was not sure about... I was not sure if it added depth or a distraction to the image ... so thanks for your vote. The image is cut from the centre of a large (about 5) image Pano stitch which I want to rework for the wall at home, I guess I looking for comments on the bits of the image I am not sure about... Would you suggest cropping to the classic 1/3 sky 2/3 water in this instance? Cannot see the clipped boat RHS, but will make sure that does not feature on the final hanger anyway...

best regards

DON

Diane Miller
05-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Very nice balance of lighting and wonderful gradient in the sky. I actually liked the leaves as giving a different take on things. I would remove the ones to the farthest left and right. The lighted clump works for me as the floating dock (or whatever it is) points to it. It might have been interesting to get a little lower or closer to move the branches up just a little for more separation from the BG -- just a little. I might clone out the one leaf that is close to touching one of the masts.

Don Railton
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Thank you for the comments Dianne... I think I might deconstruct the originals and put the branches on a different layer so I can adjust the composition without fear of upsetting that gradient that I too think is one of the main elements of this image. This will give the option of seeing branches/no branches or branches up /branches down with little more than the click of a button. Thanks again for your help.

The floating dock is actually a swimming platform, as this is a popular picnic area in Perth in the summer. Its also the location of a restaurant where I had my wedding reception over 34 years ago...:Whoa!: I can't be that old..!

Best regards

DON

Andrew McLachlan
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi Don, I like what you were going for here...I think as Diane mentions, a little more separation was needed between the branches and the buildings. Look forward to a repost when you have time. Do hope your mother-in-law begins to feel better soon.

Don Railton
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks Andrew. Unfortunately dementia is a one way trip...

regards

Don

Morkel Erasmus
05-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I like the overall idea here, Don. The branches at the top could work better if (a) they weren't lit by flash on the left and (b) if they were less pronounced (less of them, more towards the top of the frame).
Nice tones and exposure overall though.

Don Railton
05-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Morkel

Thanks for your input. The feedback is all pretty consistent as well. After trying to remove/reposition the branches in the weekend I have decided it would be better and more efficient of my time just to go and reshoot the scene... maybe next weekend if the weather co operates..

regards to you all

DON