PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Woman

Judy Howle
05-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I restored this very old, heavily damaged photo, colorized it, and texturized it. Texture from 2 Lil Owls under and over the image.

Nancy Bell
05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Well done with the textures & colors! People from this era certainly did not believe in saying "cheese" for the camera! But those eyes are piercing! I like that you angled the picture for a different look.

Dennis Bishop
05-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Another nice one. Good work on the colors, and I agree whole-heartedly with Nancy about the angle.

Hazel Grant
05-11-2014, 05:36 PM
yes, you turned the stern of the past into a softer version. Like the angle, too. Just wondering if the sunken cheek on the left is a result of the original or the texture?

Judy Howle
05-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks Nancy, Dennis and Hazel. I'll check to see if it's the texture Hazel. I thought about working some more on the image and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Nice work Judy, the textures and colour scheme are very pleasing. I like your diagonal framing too.

Anita Bower
05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Wow! Excellent. This is an arresting image: her look, her simplicity, your processing! I like the diagonal and would never have thought of it myself. Not sure about the sunken cheek--maybe tone it down a tad? The texture on the upper left frame is a bit distracting to me. This is outstanding and compelling work.
I am still confused about using textures under and over the image. I know about texture over, but what do you mean about under?

Judy Howle
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Anita. I forgot about the sunken cheek, will have to check it. I'm not that crazy about the upper left either but too much work to do something to it unless I can find something to paste over it.

About the texturing: I opened the texture and placed the image on top. It was just "sitting there" and didn't blend in and looked too modern. So I just duped the texture layer and placed it on top of the image and changed the blend mode probably to soft light, and I probably lowered the opacity. Then it blended in and looked much better.

Anita Bower
05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks Anita. I forgot about the sunken cheek, will have to check it. I'm not that crazy about the upper left either but too much work to do something to it unless I can find something to paste over it.

About the texturing: I opened the texture and placed the image on top. It was just "sitting there" and didn't blend in and looked too modern. So I just duped the texture layer and placed it on top of the image and changed the blend mode probably to soft light, and I probably lowered the opacity. Then it blended in and looked much better.
Thanks for explanation. I'll try it out.