PDA

View Full Version : Another dogwood

Diane Miller
05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Canon 5D3, Sigma 180 macro, ISO 800, f/9, 1/400 sec, tripod, cloudy day. Basic tonal adjustments in LR with attention to maximizing highlight detail (detailed in the sticky I posted in ETL), then to PS for some Nik Tonal Contrast and a touch of Viveza Structure brushed onto the near and far petals. I can live with the limited DOF as the tall and nearby grasses in the BG are not pretty if slightly in focus. A little too much breeze to try for a quick focus pull to get the front petal in focus for a composite. (I do that when I can.)

C&C always appreciated and learned from!

Ron Conlon
05-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Dogwoods are deep and big enough to force a choice between DOF and nice backgrounds. I shoot the pink variety against a blue sky with narrow apertures and the whites with a more open aperture from the top.

John Robinson
05-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Prefer this to the other Diane. Just a little more DOF would have got that font bit of the petal in focus.
Like the composition with the leaves etc though.
Cheers
JR

Steve Maxson
05-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi Diane. Another nice one! The slight difference in lighting and the increase in contrast have me liking this one a little more the your prior post. :S3:

Diane Miller
05-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Thanks, guys -- so do I! While flowers are hard to do right. And I think they're too-faded by now.