PDA

View Full Version : Grey Hen

Andy Shepherd
05-10-2014, 09:05 AM
One from my last trip to photograph Snipe, this Grey Hen ( female Black Grouse ) very kindly sat upon a dry stone wall and allowed me a couple of frames, normally this species takes flight at a seconds notice, so I was quite pleased to capture the shot. Conditions were dull and overcast giving a very even light which helped a little, but shutter speeds were down.

I am considering switching back to my 1D3 as my main camera, and will hopefully see an improvement in ISO performance over my 7D. Any thoughts on comparable ISO's would be appreciated.

7D, 500f4LIS+1.4TC, Bean Bag, Taken from car.
1/250th @ f5.6 +1/3rd iso800 ( 96% of FF )

Thanks for the feedback on my last image and thanks for looking.

Andy...

Andreas Liedmann
05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi Andy all looks spot on to me , specially considering you used the 7D. Good job in shooting and PP.
The BKG is just great.

TFS Andreas

David Salem
05-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Beautiful shot of this grouse. Nice looking alert pose and I like the feather detail. I like the setting and that killer BG color also. I might consider selectively lightening the grouse a little and adding a bit of color saturation.
I would use the MkIII as your main body as the 7D is a bit noisy, at least mine is, especially if you are living in the UK. Well done.

keith mitchell
05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Andy a cracking neat image, would not change a thing if it was mine,BG looks really good with no noise that these old eyes of mine can see.

Cheers Keith.

MiroslavMaric
05-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Nice BG, well NR processing, like the pose and sharpness of the bird. Composition could be little bit different (crop L side and extend R). Cheers! Miro

Andy Shepherd
05-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's always appreciated.

Hi David...thanks for the reply re the Mk111, It's been my back up body for quite a few years now, so today I took it into my local camera store for a Service and Spring Clean and once returned It'll go back to being my main body.

Sidharth Kodikal
05-10-2014, 04:00 PM
This is terrific image Andy. I just love those crusty rocks, this gorgeous bird and the over all setting. Against a brighter BG, such as here, a subtle touch of fill flash often works wonders. Excellent image.

Enrique Patino
05-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Beautiful image. A little brighter would put it over the top.

Marina Scarr
05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
What a stunner you have here. The BG is absolutely killer and the rocks are such a terrific perch. The bird works so well with the rocks and the BG. Perfect pose on your bird. All together a very well presented image.

Binu John
05-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Fabulous shot, Andy! Excellent pose, HA and background! TFS

christopher galeski
05-11-2014, 12:25 AM
nice one,like thBG,nice pose and perch,sharp with good detail.

Frank Schauf
05-11-2014, 04:10 AM
Nice bg and pose.

vishaljadhav
05-11-2014, 05:31 AM
Superb image
Great pose, superb perch and great BG
i love the over all IQ of the image, very nicely done

Stu Bowie
05-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi Andy, great IQ here, and what a lovely pose against that clean BG. The overcast light has worked well, but I would try a version with a touch more 'exposure' on the grouse.

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi Andy, never achieved one on a dry stone wall, but then there are very few walls on my patch up here, LOL. :w3

Good detail & pose, not sure about the green, what was the BKG? Was this taken towards the latter part of the year? Like also the lichen on the stones, adds some nice texture and content to the image.

Trust you are dogging the heavy showers that are blowing though, it's a real pain, as the light becomes really hard & strong afterwards.

TFS
Steve

Andy Shepherd
05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Ey Up, Steve...the BG is pasture and the shot was taken earlier in the year. Thanks for the feedback, matey.

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Andy, I should have said 'tek a good likeness' :bg3: was it around 'on Ilkla Moor baht 'at' not I side I've been too, but have been very close.

Glad to see you haven't been swept away, one more day up here then I'll head back, and knuckle down to some more PP.

Andrew Robinson
05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi Andy, just had several hectic days and was just having a quick look and saw this and had to comment when I wasn't intending to. This is stunning. As someone who has spent years photographing and watching Black Grouse I can appreciate just how good and unusual this is, without a doubt the best picture of a Greyhen I have seen. Usually they are skulking around in the half dark at a lek. Wish it was mine.

Andrew

Jonathan Ashton
05-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Very nice image indeed love the pose and the composition. Doesn't look noisy to me.

Andy Shepherd
05-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks Jonathan, pleased you like it.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much, that is praise indeed coming from someone whom produces fantastic Black Grouse images.

Greg Oakley
05-12-2014, 01:39 AM
WOW, cracking image Andy - superb in every way!