PDA

View Full Version : Scilla

Jackie Schuknecht
05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Found these oddballs growing in amongst what I think are soon to be iris, 5D Mk II, f4, 1/320s. ISO 320. 24-105@80. Comments/ suggestions appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
05-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Good idea well spotted. I appreciate they are "hiding" but i think I would have moved that blade on the left to one side so it did not cut directly across (because it is in sharp focus). I don't mind the other side big partially obscured because that is soft. Hope that makes sense?

Jackie Schuknecht
05-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Would you have moved it for a better view or because you find the sharpness of that blade distracting?

Diane Miller
05-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Johnathan makes an interesting point about the sharpness of the two leaves. My answer to your question would be "Yes." :w3 But it's a different and interesting image and can stand as is. I really like the painterly effect of the mass of leaves.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I appreciate the comment Diane. Macro is out of my comfort zone, but I will try to keep improving.

Diane Miller
05-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't think of it so much as "improving" but rather "connecting." You're a very good photographer with a very good eye. It's just a matter of getting used to some different possibilities with macro -- it's a wonderful exploration!

It's an area where I, at least, take a lot of shots of a subject, bracketing things like composition (moving the camera small amounts to change the perspective on various elements), aperture (DOF) and focus point, I may not decide which one worked best until later when I view them on the computer.

Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Steve Maxson
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi Jackie. I like the blue "jewels" mostly hidden in a forest of green and where you placed them in the frame. The sharpness of the adjacent leaf is not bothering me. I think this would also look very nice as a vertical crop - still keeping the flowers in the ROT position. Very nicely done!