PDA

View Full Version : Shovelers in Surroundings

Tom Walter
05-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I am looking for comments regarding this image of a pair of Shovelers. I like the idea that they are dabbling in their environment. Does the surrounding environment detract from the image? (I can't crop it any tighter.) Should I remove some of the grass? I have other shots of this same pair away from the grass but they have vegetation hanging from their beaks. Should I remove the vegetation or leave it natural, the way they were?

Diane Miller
05-08-2014, 05:44 PM
For me, the vegetation competes by beginning right at head level, especially on the female. There is a top-heaviness to the image that could be helped by some crop from the bottom. The birds are not very sharp and their pose facing away from one another isn't the most interesting. But if the IQ permitted some crop top and bottom I think it would be more successful. It might pay to have a look at the other shots.

Iain Barker
05-09-2014, 07:21 AM
I agree with Diane about the image being top heavy. I don't mid the grass and wouldn't mind if there was more of it and less water.
I would also keep an eye on the highlights. The whites on the make look hot and could maybe do with toning down slightly.