PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Bill Dix
05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
From Anahuac NWR a few weeks ago. A lingering haze remained after the morning fog lifted, making for a nicely filtered light. It also seemed to have a calming effect on the birds; at least this one allowed me to approach close enough for a full-frame vertical shot. Perhaps someone can help me age the bird. He doesn't seem to have full adult plumage, but definitely not a juvie. Maybe 2nd year? C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/640s @ f/7.1 manual; fill @ -1.3EV.

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi Bill this is gorgeous, the morning fog has created a superb look & feel to the image and great backdrop to separate & give prominence to the subject. Colours really 'sing' against the minimal BKG. Techs look good, however have you thought about loosing that vertical, broken branch. It looks cleaner without it I think, simple as you have a good outline with the foot & an ideal BKG. Adding a Curves adjustment & a % mid tone bring up some more depth on the legs, but personal taste I guess. If you need a illustration let me know, can RP with the thoughts and you can make the choice if that helps.

A nice portrait. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Bill Dix
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi Bill this is gorgeous, the morning fog has created a superb look & feel to the image and great backdrop to separate & give prominence to the subject. Colours really 'sing' against the minimal BKG. Techs look good, however have you thought about loosing that vertical, broken branch. It looks cleaner without it I think, simple as you have a good outline with the foot & an ideal BKG. Adding a Curves adjustment & a % mid tone bring up some more depth on the legs, but personal taste I guess. If you need a illustration let me know, can RP with the thoughts and you can make the choice if that helps.

A nice portrait. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Thank you Steve. Yes, I briefly thought about losing the vertical, but I was afraid he would look too precariously perched on what was left. But I'll admit I didn't actually try it. And you're right that the legs could use a little boost. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll give them a try.

Geoffrey Montagu
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Like everything about this image, Bill. Indeed there's soothing quality, both for the Heron and the viewer. Wonderful feather display, with this defused light. I like the perch as is.

Geoffrey

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Nothing to loose I think Bill, it's an option. :S3:

Binu John
05-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Excellent high key shot! Wonderful exposure! Love the feather details and the contrast! TFS

Karl Egressy
05-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Great detail, pose and excellent IQ, Bill. I was wondering if the blue hue is natural at the light you had.

Daniel Cadieux
05-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Instead of losing it completely you could always trim that extra projection by about half or 2/3rds. Great looking subject, and the suggested tweaks would make it even better.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Nice one Bill and great suggestions above.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Superb image Bill. Love the 'high key' style. Nice techs as well.

christopher galeski
05-09-2014, 02:58 AM
nice high key image,sharp with nice detail.

Bill Dix
05-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I haven't yet had time to experiment with Steve's suggestions, but I will do so in due course.

Andrew Robinson
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Very nice indeed, the sort of image I really like.

Andrew