PDA

View Full Version : Palm Warbler.

Karl Egressy
05-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Just got back from Point Pelee and Rondeau.
These two places should be the best locations for Warbler/songbird migration in Canada.
In three days a saw about 25 birds not including the Common Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds.
I hope it will get better as May is progressing.
Shot from the boardwalk of the marshy area at Pelee.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 5DM3
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS II. +2.0x III.
ISO 400
f8.0
1/800 s
HH

Bill Dix
05-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Sweet image of this little beauty. Perfect head turn and exposure; nice and sharp. I'm torn as to whether I'd like it better cropped tight to remove the slightly oof vertical branch, but after looking several times I think I like it better the way you posted it.

John Robinson
05-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Bird great. I wondered about that right hand branch too. Can't make my mind up !
OK anyway
Cheers
John

Sridatta Chegu
05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Great shot of this cute little warbler. Love the look back pose! The OOF branch couldn't manage to take my eye off from the bird. Good job!

Binu John
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Excellent shot with a lot of feather details! Very nice exposure and beautiful pose! Very well done! I agree about cropping out that OOF branch on the RHS, but it's not at all distracting.

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Gorgeous shot thinking about it I would retain the crop get rid of the vertical branch and extend the horizontal so it goes to the frame edge. Yup one fine shot!

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi Karl, a sweet subject against a soft BKG, similar to Bills and gives good standout. If you have the IQ and as an option, cropping the vertical branch out so the diagonal fits into the bottom RHC works, with less on the LHS too, but subjective. Have you done any work on the BKG as the vertical branch is soft one the LHS, but sharp in parts on the right, a little puzzled?? Good HH techs with the 2x, although the body is lighter than the 1DX, it is still a weighty bit to HH. :w3

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
05-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi Karl, a sweet subject against a soft BKG, similar to Bills and gives good standout. If you have the IQ and as an option, cropping the vertical branch out so the diagonal fits into the bottom RHC works, with less on the LHS too, but subjective. Have you done any work on the BKG as the vertical branch is soft one the LHS, but sharp in parts on the right, a little puzzled?? Good HH techs with the 2x, although the body is lighter than the 1DX, it is still a weighty bit to HH. :w3

TFS
Steve

Thanks, Steve.
I used noise reduction on the background but as a separate layer. It did not include the branch. The branch is coming towards the shooting plane that's why it is OOF.
Also 1000 mm at f8.0 gives you a very shallow DOF.

keith mitchell
05-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Karl branch nit well covered,that's a cracking looking little bird which is nice and sharp, really like the nice clean Bg,very nice indeed.

Cheers Keith.

Daniel Cadieux
05-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Good point about that branch at right, but I like the placement of the warbler within the frame, and also its pose, BG, and rest of the perch. I'd rather see very few birds but that offer good opportunities rather than many that don't, although the birder in me likes the many sightings too:S3:

Karl Egressy
05-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Here is a version of the same crop. I removed the vertical branch altogether. I still think that it served as framing the composition on the right. Unfortunately it was OOF.

David Salem
05-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Beautiful image Karl. Nice detail, color and BG. The repost is much better IMO. Well done.
Didnt forget about the settings. I am writing a tutorial since so many people PMed me. I will send it to you soon.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Repost is an improvement!
Fantastic light. Cool pose and excellent details.!

christopher galeski
05-09-2014, 03:01 AM
loverly image Karl,repost better,nice BG and perch.

Karl Egressy
05-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Beautiful image Karl. Nice detail, color and BG. The repost is much better IMO. Well done.
Didnt forget about the settings. I am writing a tutorial since so many people PMed me. I will send it to you soon.

Thanks David. It is very nice of you.