PDA

View Full Version : Jean Paul Gauthier

Jackie Schuknecht
05-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Took this in Paris a while back. A mannequin adorned with jewelry by Jean Paul Gauthier. Photomatix has a feature now where you can tonemap a single image. I thought it was appropriate for this one.

Don Railton
05-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Wow Jackie, this is so far away from what usually gets shown here in landscape it's a bit of a challenge...but I'm up for it. Firstly let me say I am not sure what tone mapping is, will look it up after this. As a critique, I find the BG a bit glary, especially the hot light coming over the shoulder. it steals the eye away from jewellery too much IMHO. I also see something (its a foggy overlay) in front of the jewellery (and band) on the hat which I would rather not see. Did you shoot through glass? if so that's what it could be.. My suggestion would be to darken the BG a little and especially the 3 hot lights as I think this might make the mannequin & jewellery stand out more. Its an interesting look the mannequin is presenting, not for me however, but I'm a bunny that is thrown by big words like tone mapping so what would I know..

regards

DON

Jackie Schuknecht
05-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Thanks for commenting Don. I agree the BG is a bit busy. I did tone down the lights, but it would be hard to get them much darker without making them look awful. Yes it was taken through glass in a storefront window. I got this bug to post it, because it was just so different.

Andrew McLachlan
05-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi Jackie, I love the processing on this...very nicely done...the gold tones are perfect...not the typical type of travel image that we get to see over here in Landscapes...nice work!

Jackie Schuknecht
05-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Andrew and Don.

Hazel Grant
05-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Since this was a mannequin in a jewelery window, I would expect it to be a bit over the top with glare to catch attention. This, you have captured, too. The slight blur of the bkgd helps, but maybe could be blurred, darkened (?) a bit. I'll have to check out that photomatrix technique. thanks for a new "landscape" from travels. It's not all trees.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Interesting for sure, Jackie. I like the tonemapped look for this, befits the bling and glare of the subject. I do agree some of the luminance of the BG could be toned down to enhance the subject...