PDA

View Full Version : Sedge warbler

Jonathan Ashton
05-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC ISO 640 Manual mode 1/2000 sec f6.3
Taken earlier morning....
Well I got better plumage detail..... but no tail, I will just have to go back and do it again!
All C&C welcome.

MiroslavMaric
05-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Good composition, sharp, you already noted the tail. Have you used some NR in PP? Cheers!

Jonathan Ashton
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Good composition, sharp, you already noted the tail. Have you used some NR in PP? Cheers!
Yes I used Topaz DeNoise.

Joe Senzatimore
05-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Love the perch leading into the subject.

Ashley Cohen
05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Another great sedge but still lacking the edge when it comes to sharpness. I took the image off here and added some sharpening in photoshop and it made the image pop out! feather detail was fantastic. If it's ok with you can I post it here to show u?

MohsenVahedipour
05-08-2014, 02:04 AM
Lovely pose with excellent IQ & nice size perch.

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2014, 04:09 AM
Another great sedge but still lacking the edge when it comes to sharpness. I took the image off here and added some sharpening in photoshop and it made the image pop out! feather detail was fantastic. If it's ok with you can I post it here to show u?
Yes by all means

Jay Gould
05-08-2014, 04:29 AM
Lovely bird - could be a drop sharper as suggested. It is competing with the very sharp leaf and other distractions along the LLC. I could consider making all that stuff disappear.

Daniel Cadieux
05-08-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm liking this species / perch combo you've been presenting. The warbler is well exposed, and I do find it sharp enough as posted. Yes, bummer about the blocked tail but the subject is rather low in the frame and that tail would have been clipped at the bottom in any case.

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Hi Jon, could you have moved to the left to get more of the tail in? Love the bramble branch with a nice curve, would lose the one on the LH trim edge & the brighter highlight spot. Agree with Dan, a bit low as presented, hope you mange to getting some more in the coming weeks.

TFS
Steve

Ashley Cohen
05-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Here's the re adjusted image. I've taken out the distracting leaf in the bottom corner which took 30 seconds at the most, and I've sharpened the bird with a Simple Unsharp mask, 80,0.3,0. normally i'd do differently on the Raw file and I find it hard to settle on sharpening method. Bit I did USM here to keep it simple. I think it stands out just a little more.

http://cl.ly/image/1e1z393W3o0P/Sedge-warbler_07052014__MG_9544.jpg

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Ashley I appreciate your repost, removal of the leaf is an idea, it depends on my mood one day I might have done, another not. Regards sharpening - yes it is more evident, for me it is just a tad too much maybe if the radius was smaller, for me the head has become just a little bit refractile. A lot will depend on the monitor in use.

Binu John
05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Beautiful shot! Love the singing pose and light! I like the sharpness in the OP.

Ashley Cohen
05-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Ashley I appreciate your repost, removal of the leaf is an idea, it depends on my mood one day I might have done, another not. Regards sharpening - yes it is more evident, for me it is just a tad too much maybe if the radius was smaller, for me the head has become just a little bit refractile. A lot will depend on the monitor in use.

Was only a rough sharpening, I wouldn't expect sharpening on the jpeg to work too well. Out of interest how do you sharpen your images?

Karl Egressy
05-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Nice singing pose and excellent details. It reminds me to our Warbling Vireo a lot.