PDA

View Full Version : The 'Prize'

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2014, 08:48 AM
This is the Cheetah that I posted a while back, 'head close-up'.

Having come across the three brothers resting on the termite mound, I alway take the view it's well worth sitting tight, as you never know what may happen. The kill was taken down in minutes and despatched between the three brothers in less than 15 minutes, with very little evidence to show what had occurred. This was one of the few clear shots, but in the haste I managed to screw up the DOF, DOH, would have preferred f/5.6!

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Cheetah with baby impala kill (Acinonyx jubatus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 plus 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/4.5 ISO400 +0.33EV

Rachel Hollander
05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Steve - must be raining there today to pull you away from the little owls. I'm not a huge fan of road shots but as you said looking at the height of the surrounding grass this was probably the only way to get a shot of cheetah with prey in the clear. Sharpness and color look good. DOF is fine but yes, 5.6 would have been better. Looks like light was already on harsh side but you handled it well.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
must be raining there today to pull you away from the little owls.

Both they and I needed a break, been working them hard as you know, plus duty calls up here too, so... Roads like in India are part & parcel, no getting away, plus, as you said, this was the only chance to get something out in the open, this is where sometimes you need to think ahead and plan, rather than shadowing the subject. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Hello Steve,

Love this cheetah image and especially the raised back leg emphasising movement, such good detail on subject as well as prey! I particularly like the positioning of the head of the victim, this is the focus of my attention. Very dramatic, not sure whether 5.6 would have made a big difference, I like this as is, great work Steve!

Warmest regards,

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-07-2014, 10:17 AM
This is a great pic even at f4.5, Steve - well done! Patience usually pays off in nature - and a lack thereof usually dissapoints immediately after giving up! :S3:

Loi Nguyen
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi Steve, this is the kind of action we all hope to see. Good sharpness and details, like the pose with prey and the proud expression of the cheetah with its head high. The road Bg is not ideal, but this is part of the habitat. Often the alternative is tall grass. TFS. Loi

Neil Burton
05-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Works for me steve, no nits.

Andreas Liedmann
05-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Hi Steve,
the important thing about this is the cheetah with its kill........
All good from the technical POV as usual.
Road shots are not my favorites and i am wondering about you posting a road shot :w3.
I think you have better cheetah images in your collection :bg3:.

If i would have posted this , it would be different ........

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Good sighting indeed. DOF is fine for me, colour looks good Steve.

Road shots are not my favorites and i am wondering about you posting a road shot :w3.
I think you have better cheetah images in your collection :bg3:.

Yes, I am afraid Mr Kaluski is holding out on us! :eek3::tinysmile_shy_t:

Steve Kaluski
05-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Yes, I am afraid Mr Kaluski is holding out on us!

Well Morkel, will have to see what hospitality is on offer soon, I've got 'the guide' & locations, just depends on whether the animals play ball. :t3

Cheers Morkel. :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
05-09-2014, 03:44 PM
:tinysmile_shy_t::5