PDA

View Full Version : Columbine

Norm Dulak
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
D7000 w/28-300mm lens @ 135mm, hand held
ISO Equivalent 800; f/5.6, 1/1000 sec; MM -0.33
Standard CS6 adjustments; Topaz DeNoise; modest NIK Tonal Contrast

Longwood Gardens today was ablaze in color, with spectacular beds of tulips and columbines in full bloom. Unfortunately the sunlight when I arrived was intense, prompting me to seek subjects in more shady areas. The available light for this image backlit the flower. To achieve acceptable shutter speed for hand holding my camera, I used a relatively high ISO setting. And to minimize the background, I opened my lens relatively wide. Although not all of the flower is sharp, I consider that to be an acceptable tradeoff.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Norm

John Robinson
05-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Norm
Yes - great Columbine shot. Unusuak colour from the ones we have here. They may be available some where I suppose. I would certainly think about removing the bright bud on the right. It takes my eye away from the main subject. Just my personal view !
Good stuff.
John R

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2014, 04:20 AM
The flower is well exposed but the background is a little less than ideal. You may wish to consider doing two raw conversions, one as is and another where you brighten the background to reduce contrast, you could then layer them and remove the darkest areas in the background. Also it may be possible to homogenise the background somewhat. As John suggested I would remove the bright bud. Also apply NR to the background.

Norm Dulak
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks John & Jon for your comments and suggestions!

Diane Miller
05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Very nice subject and composition! I don't mind the bud but would think about toning it down a little -- in brightness and saturation -- along with the other bright areas in the BG. I wonder if two conversions are needed if you use ACR/LR. You have amazing dynamic range control there to lighten shadows and darken highlights.

I'd consider a softly masked area to increase detail in the center of the flower -- possibly a combination of a Curves to darken the mid-tones and maybe some Clarity. The white petals have wonderful tonality, which upstages the flatter-contrast center.

Norm Dulak
05-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Thanks, Diane, for your interesting and thoughtful analysis and suggestions.

Steve Maxson
05-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi Norm. Interesting suggestions above for you to consider. I like the backlighting effect and your choice of f/stop worked quite well. On my monitor the greens have a slight blueish cast - you might try warming them up a little to see if you like that better. Also, I would suggest some selective NR on the background and removal of the little piece of leaf sticking into the frame at the bottom as it catches my eye. :S3:

Norm Dulak
05-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Steve.