PDA

View Full Version : Little Grebe (Dabchick)

Victor Soares
05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Deliberately positioned this one in dead centre for two reasons - the eye is then dead centre to and also the soft ripples around the bird tend to balance the shot (imo).

This little guy got nice and close and I was able to get quite a few nice shots at water level. Need to try get these guys chasing each other ... very cool !!! .... that's why we keep going back ... there's always a better shot !!

Canon EOS 40D
Canon 400L f5.6 USM
1/1250
f5.6
Av
Centre-weighted average

Steve Canuel
05-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Beautiful colors, light, and reflection. I can appreciate your decision for centered comp but personally think this one lends itself well to a crop of about halfway from the right edge to bird. You'd still maintain enough of the nicely balanced ripple and take advantage of the nice off in the distance look of the bird. My head might be lopsided but I'm seeing the need for a tiny bit of CW tilt.
Steve

Steve Maxson
05-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Lovely light. I like the pose, the low angle, the colors, and the smooth water. The image needs some CW rotation. I would consider cloning the bottom of the 2 catchlights. I'm OK with the composition, but I'm tempted to also try Steve's suggestion.

Ed Erkes
05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Beautiful composition and light. I like the composition as is (just correct the slight rotation).

Axel Hildebrandt
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Great light, angle and eye contact. CW rotation has been mentioned, I would prefer a bit more room at the left.

Doug Brown
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Beautiful photo Victor. Love the low angle and soft light. I would be tempted to take some off of the right and add a little room to the left. Agree with the CW rotation.

Bonnie Block
05-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Love the angle and the beautiful colors. I do agree with a less centered crop and a little CW rotation.
Very nice.

Victor Soares
05-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all the comments folks ... will take your advice !!