PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Evening Grosbeak

Paul Lagasi
05-06-2014, 01:41 AM
At Algonquin Park's Visitor Center, this winter a flock of Evening Grosbeaks were constant visitors. Someone had propped a twig near the feeders. This made a perfect landing area to photograph these birds as they came in to feed. I used Fotosketcher to give it a painterly look. What it did to the background was very cool.

Enjoy the spring migration. New birds are appearing daily. Ciao for now.

Dennis Bishop
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
I like the composition and the pose with the grosbeak tilting its head. I, too, like what Fotosketcher did to the background. However, my inclination would be to do something so the background's role was diminished. Reduce its contrast and/or change its luminosity perhaps?

Hazel Grant
05-06-2014, 09:11 AM
yes, the background is coold, as are the branches and twigs. I'd like to see a bit more detail on the beak of the bird. Good eye contact.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I like the pose of the bird and how the shape in the BG echoes it. I am with Dennis about maybe toning the BG blues just a bit. Really nice work Paul.

Kerry Perkins
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Nice painting Paul, love the bird! Migration is actually winding down in my part of the world, getting too hot here.

Anita Bower
05-07-2014, 05:18 AM
Wonderful composition. Love the tilt of the head and the stuff at the end of the branch. The Fotosketch effects are very nice. The bg is so wonderful that it takes some of the attention away from the bird. I'd like to see more detail in the bird, which would help my eye focus on it more. Oh, and I like the colors!

Nancy Bell
05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
I really like the painting effect of fotosketcher on this image! I would like to see a bit more detail in the grosbeak to give it definition like the lichen and tips of the branch have. I agree with Anita, the mottling in the bkgd is very cool but does take my attention away from the bird, especially that blue streak.