PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think The Photographer Got The Shot? (Osprey Flight)

Phil Lanoue
05-05-2014, 06:39 PM
I was following this osprey right after he plucked a fish out of the marsh pond and when I looked at one of the series later I noticed this fellow with a camera had been set up across from my position.
I suspect he did not get the shot as he appeared to be looking rather then photographing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/pal531/Osprey/OspreywithFishFliesByPhotographer.jpg

Image shot as jpeg with minimal post processing.
Canon 7D with Canon 300 f4 with 1.4 extender attached.
1/1000 6.3 ISO 800 Manual mode

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Ha ha, he's got a sharp shot of you and an oof osprey I bet!:S3: Funny image, but looks like it suffered from resizing compression judging by the outline of the subject.

Grant Yang
05-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Neat shot. I've always wondered what kind of images the other photogs around me are getting. Before I moved to California, I was almost always the only person out there photographing. Now there are usually multiple photographers all canvasing the same spot. It's fun to be able to talk to other photographs, but sometimes I wonder if all our shots turn out identically, and whether I'll be able to come up with something different from what the other guys are getting. At other times, I wonder at the seemingly strange setups some photographers have. They're shooting at eye level at targets that are probably 100 feet out facing against the sun??? Doesn't seem like a recipe for keepers to me.

Phil Lanoue
05-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Ha ha, he's got a sharp shot of you and an oof osprey I bet!:S3: Funny image, but looks like it suffered from resizing compression judging by the outline of the subject.

Heh heh, he probably does have me in a shot!
Since I have to host the image, Photobucket badly mangles the image by the time it makes it to here.

Phil Lanoue
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Neat shot. I've always wondered what kind of images the other photogs around me are getting. Before I moved to California, I was almost always the only person out there photographing. Now there are usually multiple photographers all canvasing the same spot. It's fun to be able to talk to other photographs, but sometimes I wonder if all our shots turn out identically, and whether I'll be able to come up with something different from what the other guys are getting. At other times, I wonder at the seemingly strange setups some photographers have. They're shooting at eye level at targets that are probably 100 feet out facing against the sun??? Doesn't seem like a recipe for keepers to me.

When I started going out to our area salt marsh there were few if any other photographers out there. Now everybody and their cat is a wildlife photographer. I too marvel at what some people will take pictures of...banging off 20 butt shots as a bird flies way off into the distance.
Thanks for checking out this photo!

Arthur Morris
05-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Why are you shooting JPEGs??????

Phil Lanoue
05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Why are you shooting JPEGs??????

Well I'm just falling back on my previous experience as a news and sports photographer and getting the stuff for my wildlife photography blog out there quickly and easily.
I'm an Ok enough photographer but I'm not much of a computer tech and prefer to spend more time out at the marsh and less time in front of the screen. I understand the shooting in RAW will provide better IQ but my main approach to shooting wildlife is to show action in a natural real world environment where the birds and alligators are out every day earning their living.
My blog has almost 1000 followers and I average over 500 hits a day and have had views from 140 different countries.
http://phillanoue.com
Thanks for checking out this osprey photo!

Arthur Morris
05-14-2014, 10:34 AM
RAWs not only allow for better image quality but if and when you screw up the exposure with a JPEG (as you did with the apparently under-exposed image above) then you are pretty much screwed. You have much much more room to correct exposure and White Balance problems with RAW captures than with JPEGs. My blog averages about 2500 hits per day and the blog and website combine for more than 10,000,000 page views per year :)

But if what you are doing works for you and you do not care about the quality of your images then keep on doing what you are doing :)