PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear

Terry Johnson
05-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Image was taken in Lake Louise Area of Canadian Rockies.

Nikon D7100
Nikon 18-200mm @ 48mm
1/60
F4.5
ISO-100
HH

Your comments Please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Loi Nguyen
05-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi terry, at 48mm, you must have been standing right next to him! Is it a full frame or a crop? If a crop, I'd suggest a little more space on the left. The green grass in front is a tad bright to my eye and draws my attention. It also looks just a bit too saturated. Your blacks on the face and body look good, Loi

Gabriela Plesea
05-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Terry,

Thank you for this post, I have not seen many black bears and this is one impressive chap! I tend to agree with Loi, subject needs more space on the left. If this is full frame, perhaps taking a bit off the right might at least create the illusion that there's sufficient space in front of the subject, what do you think? In which case you might have to take off a bit from the bottom too, in order to avoid a square crop. I like the detail in the blacks, I am surprised and pleased at the same time that the IQ is so good at 1/60s, well done!

Just curious, why did you choose to shoot at ISO 100?

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi Terry. Nice bear! Detail is good in the black fur and you avoided that blue cast that so often shows up in their coats on camera.
I would have liked a tad lower angle, given the lack of BG separation at 48mm focal length. Were you on foot?
I think you could have dropped ISO to 400 for a higher SS, would have just given that edge more crisp sharpness as 1/60 is slow for wild animals even if they only make small movements.

Terry Johnson
05-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Hello, and thank you for your comments. The image is full-frame. I was shooting ISO-100 because I have less noise with the Nikons at the lower ISO settings. I will adjust the subject location as suggested and repost.

Thanks for your input...Terry

Gabriela Plesea
05-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Thank you Terry for your reply, I am sure there's no noise with your Nikon at ISO 400, perhaps just experiment and shoot at various ISO values and compare images.

Have a great week, enjoy the day!