Nikon 18-200mm @ 18mm
1/60
F3.5
HH
ISO-100

Your commen:S3:ts please...Terry Johnson

David Stephens
05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Great light on the FG and beautiful pastels in the sky. The rail in the lower left is jarring. I'd try some various aspect ratios to try to crop it out.

Don Railton
05-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Hi Terry

I agree with David.. The Rail has got to go.. and you have a few dust bunnies above the bright cloud left of centre while you are removing things. Nice scene, I think it could be a little brighter & more local contrast enhancement in the valley just right of center.

regards

DON

dankearl
05-06-2014, 11:54 PM
I have no idea how anyone could post a photo with the railing in it in a "so called" high quality critique photography forum?
You have a nice sky here and beautiful scenery, did you think the rail added to it?
You must have and if so, I would like to know the reason behind the thinking behind that........

Hazel Grant
05-07-2014, 08:33 AM
I agree about the railing, but really, Dan, you don't have to attack. The light progression is good.

David Stephens
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
There are people trying to learn something here. No need to be ugly. We're all striving for "high quality" but all may not be there yet.

Diane Miller
05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Very nice light! I wonder if experimenting with a slight increase in exposure would be interesting. Hard to know without trying it. Or some other tweak to bring out just a little more detail or contrast in the mid-dark tones.

I'd hate to crop any from the bottom but I think enough could be cropped from the left to get rid of the rail and still preserve the scope of the scene. It can be very difficult to frame out near objects with a wide-angle lens. Tripod feet (and the photographer's feet) are often in the way.

Andrew McLachlan
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Terry, as Diane mentions sometimes it can be hard to eliminate such things such as this railing from entering the image. Always best to scan the edges of the frame prior to clicking the shutter to check for such things. For me since the upper right portion of the sky is dark I feel you could crop a bit from the top and the left side to maintain the original ratio of the images dimensions without loosing the impact of the image, which is the beautiful light on the right side of the canyon.

Since this image was hand-held could you leaned out a little further to eliminate the railing?

Looking forward to more.

Morkel Erasmus
05-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Surely, Dan, there was a better way to phrase what you ended up saying above? Tact does not require much training or skill, merely a bit of courtesy.
If you don't like the rail - say you don't like it and it would be better without it. If you want to know why it was included, by all means ask the question. But your opening line is just inflammatory and provocative.

That being said, Terry, I wish you didn't include the rail in the corner. Easy to crop out and maintain the core focus of this shot, for sure.
I think you can pull more detail and dynamic range from this, especially in the shadows and midtones. Play around with curves or even go back to the RAW file for best results.
The light and overall scene is nice.

Dvir Barkay
05-15-2014, 08:06 AM
nice light, there seems to be major distortion (seen in the horizon). The light is good, and the processing natural. That rail is a problem though, needs to be cropped off somehow.

Terry Johnson
05-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Hello, I apologize for not responding sooner, I have been away. I will see what I can do about the railing and dust motes, I'll play with the contrast and lower the amount of sky being shown. We'll see how it changes the original.

Thanks for your input...Terry Johnson