PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Springtime in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Mark Fuge
05-04-2014, 03:41 PM
We came upon this waterfall, as with many in the Smoky Mts NP, along the side of the road. While you can hike up to 35 miles, to see a small rapids in privacy, there are many along the roads that offer as nice a view, if not better than a day’s hike. We were not up to the hike and our experience with using the hikers guide that we bought was not good, in finding the ones that the author noted were along the roads, due to his incomplete descriptions for non-locals. So we ended up dead reckoning our way around the byways looking for them.

I know it's a little conservative for me. However, I didn't want to overdo the beauty that we saw there. The dry brush gave it just a touch of OOTB effect. :w3

Processing included; Photoshop, Topaz Denoise5, Topaz LensEffects, and PS Dry Brush.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-05-2014, 08:32 AM
I like the composition Mark and would love to go to the Smoky Mountains one day. :S3:

Hazel Grant
05-05-2014, 09:29 AM
First, let me say I'm soooo jealous that you got good weather in the Smokies. Two rain downpour trips last year gleaned me no photos, no animals except a squirrel. This beautiful scene is what I was hoping for back then. The treatment of the water helps give smooth contrast to the beauty of the trees. the frame helps me envision it as a wall art piece.

Cheryl Slechta
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Hi, Mark, I meant to get the the Smokies this spring but it doesn't look like I'll get there. I especially like the lighting on this one.

Mark Fuge
05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

The one thing I would say about going there is don't go when everyone else goes!!!! I've been there with the crowd and you will not enjoy it. The roads demand your constant attention to make it up and down the mountains, which is all you do when you are not stopped to take photos, or venture on a trail. When the world is there, such as holidays and summer, it is too frustrating driving to enjoy the sights. The week we went ended up being perfect. While there were people and at times it got crowded, on the mountain For the most part it was bearable. I've done the other, in fall a few years ago.

Hazel it wasn't totally perfect, it rained all day Tuesday. But that was explorer day! :w3 We drove areas and shot what we could from the "car blind". The weather added to the effect of the smoke of the Smokies. I wouldn't have wanted a total washout, as I've had sometimes in the past on trips. But sometimes rain brings out images that you normally wouldn't shoot. It also can give you a new vision! :bg3:

Cheryl, lighting mainly courtesy of Topaz Lens Effects, that's one of the reasons I really like that program.