PDA

View Full Version : Along the Way

Dennis Bishop
05-04-2014, 02:12 PM
There are many quotes about journeys and destinations. What happens along the way has always seemed important to me. I intentionally broke up my trek to the Lonaconing silk mill. There were a couple reasons, and the hope of finding ice along the southern shore of Lake Erie was one of them. This was captured in late afternoon on the Marblehead Peninsula.

Nikon D3S, ISO 200, f/22, five-exposure HDR at 1 EV increments, zoom lens at 17mm

processing highlights

Topaz Detail -- Sunset II
Topaz Simplify -- saved watercolor preset
Alien Skin Snap Art -- saved watercolor preset, Color blend mode, 89% opacity
duplicate dodge layers to lighten some of the shadows
two Photo Filter adjustment layers -- Warming 85, masked differently
seven black & white layers (Fractalius, Simplify edges, Snap Art Line Art) -- four at Multiply blend mode (11 - 100%), two at Divide (16 - 23%)
gradient vignette

Jackie Schuknecht
05-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Very dramatic Dennis, I love the composition and leading lines. The clouds are unusual, and add a lot to the scene in my opinion. Very nice.

Dennis Bishop
05-05-2014, 10:09 AM
. . . The clouds are unusual, and add a lot to the scene in my opinion. . . .

Thank you, Jackie. Wide angle lenses can give a large expanse of clouds a whole different look. Although I'd noticed that before, I hadn't much thought about it until I read your comment. Considering what a wide angle lens does to elements in a scene when they're farther from the camera, it makes sense.

Cheryl Slechta
05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Dennis, I think this is gorgeous - I love the perspective, especially, but also your use of filters enhanced the textures in the rocks and ice as well as the sky. This was definitely worth the detour:S3:

Mitch Carucci
05-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Really strong seascape. The powerful angular ice blocks conrast well with the soft and colorful sky. (I love that sky).

Anita Bower
05-09-2014, 06:58 AM
I like how the sky and the ice seem to emanate from the same place--a point somewhere near the end of the peninsula--and spread out up and down to fill the frame. I like how they are similar yet different: similar colors, different shapes and textures. All this gives unity to the image. The position of the land at the upper third is perfect. I like that I can see detail in the shadows of the ice, yet see the shadows also. The stones under the water are lovely. The sky is gorgeous. I wouldn't change a thing.

Randall Farhy
05-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Dennis, this is a beautiful piece, one of your recent best! Would never have known this was an icescape, and that's fine because it takes on a mystical feel with the subtle colors and mild shadows. The clouds are amazing in their vibrant yet subtle tones and textures. I'm especially fond of the pink and green contrast hues throughout. The way in which this one transitions from light sketch to painting and back again adds another layer of interest. I see nothing to adjust or modify, well done!.