PDA

View Full Version : The Southern Festoon butterfly

MiroslavMaric
05-04-2014, 01:08 PM

Butterfly: The Southern Festoon (zerynthia polyxena)
Canon 5DIII, 100mm L, tripod, M mode, ISO100, 1/200s, f4.0, twin flash in manual mode 1/64, focus mode: manual
Outdoor focus stacking: 16 photos, SW: Zerene stacker
PP: contrast, vibrance, filter
Full size of photo: 5172 x 3480 pixels

Thanks for looking and comments. Cheers!

John Robinson
05-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Wow ! 16 stacks !! Thats going some indeed> I would have thought taht would have got the orchid in focus too.
Why 16 ? I usually am able to manage about 4 if I,m lucky.
On some sort of orchid too. Anyway Good sharp shot.
Cheers
JohnR
PS - 16 stacks Wow again !

MiroslavMaric
05-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Why 16 ?

Thanks for comments. Just to explain why 16 frames. My goals: max size of the image and max blur of the background. So the distance was 30cm and aperture f4. In total this butterfly is thick around 8mm, DOF was 1.4mm. For needed overlaping of the frames and to be sure to catch the focus from start to end I used 16 frames, in this case could be enough 10-12 but the start and end position should be fixed well. I used motor head with contoller and to prepare all I lost 20-30 minutes. It was cold weather, butterfly was fixed. I did 3 series of 16 frames because of air flow. Due to air flow I gave up to include the frames of flower. However I'm not 100% happy with result (color tone etc) and I will have to do some more PP.

Cheers.

John Robinson
05-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Well explained ! Didn't realise so little DOF at 1.4 mm !!! Must re think my stacking methods !
Thanks
John

Jonathan Ashton
05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
A very impressive image the detail in the butterfly is amazing. I have never seen this species before.

MiroslavMaric
05-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I have never seen this species before.

Thank you. This species is well known in my country from April to May, so local name is Easter Butterfly.

Norm Dulak
05-06-2014, 03:54 PM
A very sharp, colorful butterfly. And the background is excellent. But despite the stacking technique employed, I note that some of the more proximal and distal parts of the flower are still not in sharp focus. How much further stacking would have been required to bring all of the image into sharp relief?

In any event, the butterfly is outstanding. TFS.

MiroslavMaric
05-06-2014, 11:11 PM
But despite the stacking technique employed, I note that some of the more proximal and distal parts of the flower are still not in sharp focus. How much further stacking would have been required to bring all of the image into sharp relief?

In any event, the butterfly is outstanding. TFS.

Thank you. Please note this was done outdoor and I'm happy to use stacking technique outdoor. Regarding air flow (from time to time vibration) the stacking frames were taken from butterfly only. The flower is thick around 40 mm. So more than 30 frames would be needed with 100mm lens, 300mm distance & f4 on FF sensor! If count needed overlaping, 40 frames would be minimum. To take each frame 1.5 second is needed. For example with f11 the number of frames would be around 3 times less but in above case the background will be different.

Cheers.

Jay Gould
05-08-2014, 04:38 AM
"It was cold weather, butterfly was fixed."

Miroslav (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php/13487-MiroslavMaric), What do you mean the butterfly was fixed?

BTW, lovely image!!

MiroslavMaric
05-08-2014, 04:52 AM
What do you mean the butterfly was fixed?

Thank you. Sorry, you are right, it wasn't clear. It was cold and therefore the butterfly didn't move. One of the main reasons why I prefere outdoor stacking technique is that I don't want to harm the nature by any means, for example to collect and keep the samples indoor. Cheers!

Ron Conlon
05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks for explaining the technicals behind the stacking that you did, it is very informative and gives some of the limitations as well as the advantages. We are often forced into choices by technical aspects, and it is good to know this ahead of time--I haven't made a stack I have liked, and now I now some of the mistakes I have made. In the end, there is a contrast between the very sharp butterfly and the less sharp flower--it is striking to a photographer's eye because it doesn't arise with a single shot. Thanks again for sharing.

MiroslavMaric
05-10-2014, 04:36 AM
In the end, there is a contrast between the very sharp butterfly and the less sharp flower

Thanks, yes my first goal was to get sharp butterfly and the second option I tried to get all together but I was not lucky. Cheers!

Steve Maxson
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
This is a beautiful subject set against a pleasing background! Excellent sharpness within the DOF of your stacks. Like some of the others, I would wish that the flowers in front were sharp - that would take this strong image up to a whole new level - but I also understand the challenges of doing this amount of stacking under field conditions. :S3: