PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker

Joseph Przybyla
05-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I have been seeing many woodpeckers posted recently, here is my contribution. I found this one feeding on ants in a blown down snag. He was so preoccupied I was able to approach to about 10 to 15 feet. I believe it is a juvenile just beginning to grow in the red feathers on the top of the head.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FF)
1/500 F/8 ISO 1600
Post processed in Lightroom 5, some low opacity cloning done in PE to blend in the BG, about 75% of FF

Ian Wilson
05-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Hi Joe, Lovely composition but the bird looks a bit noisy. Not sure what you can do about it - I hope one of the experts will offer some advice as I would also like to know what to do in this situation. Regards, Ian

Daniel Cadieux
05-04-2014, 08:56 AM
What a scraggly individual...this one's been through a lot it seems! Not convinced it is a juvie, but definitely a male (with the red at the base of the bill). It's happened a couple of times to me to be able to approach within feet because of feeding activity - without a camera as fate would have it of course!!

Very in-your-face and I like the open bill and a neatly coloured BG. IQ seems to have taken a bit of a hit, perhaps too much NR / sharpening combo? I also would not mind a bit more room above and right, and I would either clone out or crop out the small white spot below left. Terrific opportunity you had!

John Rowell
05-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Terrific opportunity that you captured well here. I really like the colors and both the bird and the nicely oof background. Great facial portrait, I think the body doesn't add much and would crop some off the left and add canvas on the right.

Karl Egressy
05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Nice head shot against smooth background, Joe.