PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon Heads (Avocet Flight)

Phil Lanoue
05-03-2014, 06:28 PM
A trio of American Avocets in flight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/pal531/AmericanAvocets.jpg

Image shot as jpeg with minimal post processing.
Canon 7D with Canon 300 f4 with 1.4 attached
!/1600 6.3 ISO 200 in Manual mode

Randy Stout
05-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Phil:

I love the stacked heads and legs, looks like a "blue Angels" tight formation flight. Exposure is good. I would probably move them a bit right in the frame so they aren't quite so centered.

Shooting in RAW will give you lots more options in post processing and ultimate image quality.

Be sure to post your images at the max. size allowed, 1200x900, so we can see the details.

Cheers

Randy

Phil Lanoue
05-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Phil:

I love the stacked heads and legs, looks like a "blue Angels" tight formation flight. Exposure is good. I would probably move them a bit right in the frame so they aren't quite so centered.

Shooting in RAW will give you lots more options in post processing and ultimate image quality.

Be sure to post your images at the max. size allowed, 1200x900, so we can see the details.

Cheers

Randy

Hey Randy,

Thanks very much for checking out this photo and I really appreciate your reply and helpful suggestions. I agree about not centering this image, that would likely look better.

I know that RAW will certainly give me more options on post processing and also ultimately more detail in the overall image. I have been shooting mostly jpegs just to get birds and alligators up on my wildlife photography blog: http://phillanoue.com especially since I post every day. As my background is being a news and sports photographer, I kind of fall back on that and go with quickly banging out the story.

I did size this 1200 on the long side but I since I have to host the images, I don't know what stupid Photobucket is doing (other then cutting down on the detail)

Best,

Phil

Daniel Cadieux
05-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Cool! As a Canadian though it reminds me more of the "Snowbirds" than the "Blue Angels" though:bg3: This would have been killer had all three been within dof, but still neat as is.

Phil Lanoue
05-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Cool! As a Canadian though it reminds me more of the "Snowbirds" than the "Blue Angels" though:bg3: This would have been killer had all three been within dof, but still neat as is.

Thanks a million Daniel, I'm happy you liked this shot. I know what you mean about the DOF though... that aspect continues to haunt me (a little anyway) to this day.