PDA

View Full Version : Beeaters

Richard Unsworth
05-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi all

Portugal

I have found a place close to where I live where the Bee eaters are nesting, several tunnels are visible but as yet I have not been able to catch them coming out of the tunnels. This pair was enjoying the evening and perched above the nest tunnels.
The light here is such that no pictures can be taken in the morning.Environment busy at this perch but they are still beautiful birds
7D
1/500 275 mm on 100-400
f5.6 iso640 HH

John Robinson
05-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Grrrrr----- My bogie birds Richard !
Went all the way to the camargue some years back and wanted to see these. I did briefly but the wife wouldn't stop the car!
However they are done they are great birds If I had two birds to pick doing before I pop it would be these or Black Winged Stilts.
I still like tis pic and the back is busy but as you explained a hard one. Can you stick any perches up farther from the background ?
There's got be a way (sounds like a song )
Cheers
John

Richard Unsworth
05-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Hi Joh

I cant get to this location the tree are across a steep sided river, with the high sand banks providing the perfect protected location for the nest tunnels
Their observation perch are where they are. I prefer to say this is a natural shot. I think I wioll get a lot more chances, have to wait and see
Thanks for posting

christopher galeski
05-04-2014, 03:33 AM
nice colourful image,like thepose,some nice detail in the birds,the BG does not bother me so much,as the birds color draws me to them,and I don't notice the BG.

Gerald Kelberg
05-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi Rich, I am a real big fan of these beautiful birds. Nice to get the pair like this. Devilishly difficult to get the exposure right so you don't blow-out the yellows on the cheeks.

I find the image is a bit dark overall for my taste, but it could be just they were in shadow.

Agree with John R, that you should be able to work them a bit on different perches with better light and background. Maybe there is an exposed dead tree on the river somewhere they will go for.

Best wishes,
Gerald

Richard Unsworth
05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks Gerald and hi!
Yes I will be patient and hopefully get them in a better spot, they are here all summer. Actually I am in the UK atm!

Andy Shepherd
05-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Would love to photograph these, they are truly stunning looking birds, so very envious to say the least, Richard. Seeing as though you have these close to hand, and providing you can, once the breeding season is over would it be possible to erect some perches that give a more photogenic BG. Smart shot BTW.

Richard Unsworth
05-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Andy thanks for posting.
These birds have proved to be very difficult to get close to most of the time, as there are usually 6-12 individuals around an area of nest site they are very aware of human approach. In 16 months I have rarely got close, spent hours waiting for them to exit burrows etc. but now this new site may get me very close. The terrain and tree cover here is very wild making perches difficult but I will see what I can do. I do have a sit in hide and may use that soon. They will be here until September so anythings possible. Unfortunately I recently had a bad health situation preventing me from being very active but now much better :-), out and about again.
Liking your photography and site.

Andy Shepherd
05-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi Richard,

It's good to hear you are feeling better and thanks re my photography / website, that's much appreciated.

I hope you have more success with the Bee-eaters and look forward to more images.

Loi Nguyen
05-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Hi Richard, lovely birds, good details, sharpness, and colors. I'm not cray about the crp though. it seems too much dead space to the right and bottom and not enough on the left and top. Loi

Richard Unsworth
05-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Hi Loi

yep they sure are pretty. I hear what you say on the crop. I was avoiding a pale and oof vertical stick that follows right across the left of the full frame so felt unable to go left with the crop if you see what I mean, but I can reevaluate that for sure.