PDA

View Full Version : Winnowing

Colin Driscoll
05-03-2014, 03:24 AM
Rice being winnowed beside the road in Karnataka, India. Taken from the car. The shadows tell an entirely different story about what is happening.
5D3 16-35 @ 27 f2.8 1/2500 iso100

Dave Mills
05-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Generally I feel an image should speak for itself. In this case Colin is pointing the viewer to the shadows being cast. Without that statement my first reaction was the interesting practice of winnowing the rice which IMO is dominating the image. I would have liked the person on the right not cut by 90% and due to showing the shadows the comp appears off because of all the room behind the person on the left.

Dave Mills
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Oops, sorry that I didn't see the whole image on my screen. I thought you cropped the person on the right side in half....

Don Railton
05-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Colin

I have looked at this a few times and to me its is an interesting travel shot that I too would have taken, but that is it for me... I see the shadow leading to the toes of the LH person but I can't see the 'different story' you are referring to, sorry...!

DON

Colin Driscoll
05-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Don, look at the shadows only, it is a couple of gymnasts one holding the other overhead by the feet.

Morkel Erasmus
05-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I got the inferred shadow story :cheers: but not sure if I would if you hadn't pointed it out (which I think was Dave's main point).
Interesting behaviour, overall I do wish the light was sweeter (at least as it pertains to capturing this candid scene without the shadow story).

Don Railton
05-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi Colin

I noticed the linked shadows, but I didn't interpret it as gymnastics...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
05-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi Colin, an interesting take on the shadows...an overcast day would have help eliminate the harshness of the light...but you have to work with what you have at the time for a street scene such as this.