PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker

Enrique Patino
05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Located a fresh nest a week or so ago. Since then I've seen both birds in and out of the whole and in the cavity at various times. I went to look mid morning today and found this bird soaking some rays during a warm day in Seattle. Light was a bit harsh. I could have moved to get a better light angle. I could have gone higher and to my left, but I am waiting for when the chicks hatch to draw that much attention as it is a public place. Birds are tame though. The green leaves moved in between as I was photographing due to wind and I think I like the effect it creates in the image... some images during their rearing the young coming soon I hope!!!

7D, 700mm, 1/400 @ f/8, ISO 800, cropped from horizontal, hh, manual

comments and suggestions welcome

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Beautiful, Enrique! Pity about the leave covering the body but I assume you would have sidestepped it if you could. I'd bring exposure down just a tad.

Joseph Przybyla
05-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Nice image Enrique. I am with Tobie... pity about the leaves, but that is part of what we do.

Andy Shepherd
05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Excellent behavioural image, Enrique. Agree re the foliage covering the body.

Enrique Patino
05-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Is there anyone that thinks that the effect of the foliage in front does not take but can add to this image, or should I adjust how I look at this situation? I have others without the foliage (as the wind was blowing good). Sometimes the branch was in between and sometime it was not. Unfortunately all the sharp images with fully extended wings have some amount of foliage in between... :e3

Binu John
05-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Beautiful shot! Lot of details on the extended wings! But I agree with others that it would've been much better without the foliage in front. IMO there are cases where it really adds to the images like the one posted by Andy. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/119776

Enrique Patino
05-05-2014, 07:48 AM
thanks for your comments again... this is an image without foliage in front. I did not get any with fully extended wings like this.