PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly nymph

Steve Maxson
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
This Damselfly nymph (sorry - I don't know what family this one is from) was photographed in my 2.5 gal aquarium setup. The 3 "tails" are actually its gills. These are smaller than dragonfly nymphs and, while predators, they are often prey items for any invertebrate predators larger than themselves. 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/80, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), manual focus, tripod, cable release. I removed some tiny bits of floating debris in the water and ran NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

John Robinson
05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Nice one Steve. Looks a bit like our demoiselles (Caryopteryx. )They are in running water here and have the big three caudal gills. I found some adult larvae yesterday and are ready to be snapped ! They will be emerging here shortly.
An way nice one again. I see you are still using the bladderwort(try a cabbage ):bg3:
Cheers

John

Jonathan Ashton
05-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Lovely shot, I like the setting and the lighting that is stronger one one side, it looks natural. Maybe the eye is just a little bit bright on the RHS??