PDA

View Full Version : Horned Lark

David Salem
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Took this last spring at an estuary that I shoot Terns at. This Lark was hunting on the other side of a chain link fence so we had to shoot through it. Dosn't always work well but worked ok for this shot.
Here he has just captured a tasty caterpillar. I like the color of the beach verbena in the BG.

1DMkIV---700mm---f7.1---ss1/2500---ISO800---HH@5:45pm---50%crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

Ian Wilson
04-30-2014, 07:31 PM
I like the elements in this picture and very surprised to learn it was captured through a wire fence! I would prefer a little more space around the bird if you have it.
Regards, Ian

Dave Spates
04-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Love the way the actions stopped with the caterpillar in mouth. Well done.

Binu John
04-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Great action shot, David! I like the action and the OOF flowers in the background!

Bill Dix
05-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Love the caterpillar and the bg colors. Wish for a head turn, and in a perfect world, for his "horn" to show. Still a nice shot of the species with great action.

Richard Flack
05-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Very cool action shot David! Really like the BG and the colourful caterpillar. If I were to nit pick, I would give more space around the bird (if possible) and would have loved it if his head was turned more towards the camera. I also noticed some sort of halo above the back towards the tail? (May be my screen). TFS

David Salem
05-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Bill, I also wish for a bit more of a head turn. Thanks

David Salem
05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks Richard,
I cropped this pretty tight to concentrate on the caterpillar and action. I wish for a head turn too but have to wait until next time. I dont see a halo though. Thanks for your input.

Daniel Cadieux
05-01-2014, 12:02 PM
That's a pretty scraggly Horned Lark! Nice setting though, and neat lunch. Light angle so-so - a better head angle would have better lit the face, but you know that already. Was the ground slanted?

Stu Bowie
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi David, you have done well shooting through the fence without any visible evidence of it. Great low angle, and the feather detail shows up very well. Thats one juicy caterpillar.

David Salem
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone
Ya, Daniel he is a pretty scraggly one.. Guess they all cant be studs.:)Yes the ground was sloping ,he was actually on part of a slope and the flowers were on a angle and then I was trying to shoot through the chain link fence which left me moving the camera around to get a clear shot.I guess I could have tried to level it but the bird looked funky. Thanks for your comment.