PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Leopard in the grass

Marc Mol
04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Just sneaking one last B&W themed image before the end of the month.
Can't do much with the grass across the face here Rachel, part of it's environment of course, a little less noticeable than the previous image.:w3
Taken during the short green season in Ruaha NP - Tanzania.

D4 500 f.4 VRII f/5.6 1/2000s ISO1600
Slight crop for composition, ACR, PS CC for mono conv. I decided on a darker midtone/grassed environment instead of a possible HK one, and could work either way, just my preference.

All C&C welcome.

Tobie Schalkwyk
04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I like it, Marc! Good contrast and nice focus on the face! Interesting how focus also occurred on some of the grasses on the right! Nothing I would have done different here. Admittedly I would have liked to see the color version too...:t3

Rachel Hollander
04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Marc - not on calibrated monitor now so won't comment on tone but this works for me. The grass here is thinner and less obstructive than the blade in the color image recently posted. Good job on getting the focus right through all that grass.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi Marc, i quite like the overall image.Not much you can do about the grass blades , unless you invest a fair amount of time and you are really good in cloning ………….:bg3:., making it unnoticeable for others.
Good choice of tones and contrast, the "high contrast" subject surrounded by low contrast.

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Hello again Marc,

"...elusive, mostly unseen, and almost always peeping between blades of grass of tree branches..." this is what everyone says, but you seem to spot them leopards ever so often! Another great opportunity and you made the best of it, and I really like this image although I admit I do like the previous one even more, for personal reasons:tinysmile_shy_t:...Nevertheless, this is very well processed and the subject really stands out despite the busy FG, great work!

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Hey Marc. Tonally the leopard stands out nicely from the grass. I would have liked a clear eye, but hey, what can you do?
the IQ here seems very gritty, more than I would expect at ISO-1600??

Marc Mol
05-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Thanks everyone.

the IQ here seems very gritty, more than I would expect at ISO-1600??

Yes, are you referring to the leopard itself or BG (no NR used there), but does show up more than in the colour version.:e3

Morkel Erasmus
05-04-2014, 03:06 PM
...the kitty...:e3