PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker II

Daniel Cadieux
04-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Here's another look at this gorgeous bird on the same charred stump. I like the fact we can still see a bit of the yellow under the tail (this, by the way, is the "Yellow-shafted" race we get here in eastern North America with the west getting the "Red-shafted" one). By moving just a couple of inches left or right I was able to change the colour of the background and introduce some greens in it (see my previous post for comparison)...something to keep in mind when looking through your camera's viewfinder.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, almost FF, eye work, perch clean up, audio used to lure the subject in.

John Robinson
04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
What an amazing bird ! The colors and patterns look like thev've been stuck on !!.
And that's the first black perch I,ve seen !!
Great suff Daniel.
Cheers
JohnR
PS Looking at it again maybe the brightness of the bird could be dropped a tad ?
No big deal

arash_hazeghi
04-29-2014, 11:36 PM
nice pose and HA, great details too. these guys have nice patterns on their chest! I wonder if you could get him on a stump with moss ?

very nice

Binu John
04-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Excellent shot! Love the pose, details and background!

Giovanni Frescura
04-30-2014, 04:30 AM
It is a fantastic bird. Ok for nice details and composition

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Hi Daniel, you really do make the most of colour in your images, a pleasure to view. Ticks my box, and I still feel this is a unique perch.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Daniel the colours you have in this image are super particularly the Bg,never seen a bird on a charred stump before, certainly rocks my boat.

Cheers Keith.

Seppo Harmala
05-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Interesting looking fellow, wish we had these in Europe. Different "nice" perch, great image, I like it a lot.

christopher galeski
05-01-2014, 03:19 AM
very nice,nice pose,like the BG and light,and that perch is different,hope it did not burn its feet:S3:.

Shawn Zierman
05-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Wow, audio worked?! Impressive. I've had zero luck with audio on this species. Blind? Gorgeous image in all regards and the yellow shaft peeking through on the tail feathers is the icing on the cake here imo...Unique perch makes this one memorable.

Daniel Cadieux
05-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Hey Shawn, yes, I was surprised too as I've tried it with them many times without success. For what it's worth I used the "interaction" call here. No blind used, but it came from behind me and from that perspective I was semi-hidden by some tall bushes.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Joseph Przybyla
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Your two recent Flicker images are great, a beautifully colored bird, nicely shown. My only wish would be that the forest recovers quickly and they are back to having normal dead snags and the insects that go with them.

David Salem
05-01-2014, 10:43 PM
That's a really nice Flicker shot Daniel. The pose looks awesome and that smooth BG makes the bird pop off the screen. The little bit of yellow adds to the image and the unique charred wood perch is really cool. Very well done.

Frank Schauf
05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Beautiful portrait, great pose and colors.