View Full Version : Sandwich Terns

William Dickson
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Canon 5D Mkiii
Canon F/2.8 300mm with 2 x TCiii
f/13
1/1250
ISO 800

I was walking along the shore this evening, when, I was surprised to see these terns. First time I have seen them in Fife, Scotland. Thanks for having a look.

Bill Dix
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Lovely setting, and I like the raised wings on one, the calling pose on the other. The third bird doesn't add anything, in my view. I don't know if you're into that sort of thing, but I might have been tempted to remove him.

John Robinson
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Nice one William.
Remeber these on Scolt head in Norfolk about 45 years ago !! Dear oh dear !
Chheers
John

William Dickson
04-30-2014, 01:08 AM
Nice one William.
Remeber these on Scolt head in Norfolk about 45 years ago !! Dear oh dear !
Chheers
John

Aye its good to bring back some memories John

Cheers :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Hi William, I like this, my only wish would be the one behind on the LHS not to be there. Love the green rocks and the white of the subjects, the have a nice standout. I think you could have afforded a lower aperture, not sure about f/13... but you had SS which was good and it did work. I also like the posture/behaviour of the two birds too.

Safe travels on the 5th, let me know how you get on, just don't have a fish supper when you get off the ferry on your return, those Gulls are real bullies. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
04-30-2014, 07:43 AM
I like the shot very much, pity about the one in the background but the rest is great. I would consider raising the shadows or just maybe the blacks a little, the heads are a little dense as arethe darkest parts of the rock.

William Dickson
04-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi William, I like this, my only wish would be the one behind on the LHS not to be there. Love the green rocks and the white of the subjects, the have a nice standout. I think you could have afforded a lower aperture, not sure about f/13... but you had SS which was good and it did work. I also like the posture/behaviour of the two birds too.

Safe travels on the 5th, let me know how you get on, just don't have a fish supper when you get off the ferry on your return, those Gulls are real bullies. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve

Apparently Oban Harbour is good for photographing Black Guillemont :S3: so, I think we will have to leave 2 hours earlier than planned lol, and spend some time at Oban :w3

When I was photographing the Terns last night, I was thinking at the time 'they wont like the 3rd hidden tern on BPN', but it wouldnt move lol, so i took the photographs, as its the first time I have seen them here

William Dickson
04-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi Steve,

This is the tern on the RHS of the original image, on its own (still trying to get used to the full frame compared to the cropped sensor)

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
I think we will have to leave 2 hours earlier than planned lol, and spend some time at Oban

Don't get excited, it's not that great, even if they claim it's the 'Sea food capital' of Scotland!!! You should have some opportunities for BIF when you come back with a fish super along the front. :S3:
Just try to avoid hefty crops, but go out, enjoy and most of all, have fun William. :cheers: