PDA

View Full Version : Tulip

Ron Conlon
04-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Most of the tulips look a little bedraggled this year, perhaps due to the unusually cold winter, but this one close to the house bloomed in its customary glory.
Cropped a little tighter than most, but black background is only black background, and I wanted to feature the range of colors in the petals.
D5100 200mm f/18 1/200s iso 100 remote flash.

Steve Maxson
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi Ron. Beautiful colors that work well with the black background, and good overall sharpness. I also like the soft lighting you achieved with your flash. It's a matter of taste, but I would prefer a little more room at the top. This is very nicely done!

Ron Conlon
04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Steve. Unbeknownst to you, you deserve some credit for the soft light. I learned a lot from your post on lighting for insects <http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/91878-Lady-Beetle-and-lightbox-setup?highlight=lightbox>-- it got me started on experimenting with boxes, white paper, backdrops and remote flashes and it has been a fun journey.

Steve Maxson
04-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Steve. Unbeknownst to you, you deserve some credit for the soft light. I learned a lot from your post on lighting for insects <http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/91878-Lady-Beetle-and-lightbox-setup?highlight=lightbox>-- it got me started on experimenting with boxes, white paper, backdrops and remote flashes and it has been a fun journey.

Cool! :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
04-30-2014, 10:50 AM
What a super quality image - I can't stop going back looking at it! I hear what you say regarding the background but I would give a little more space at the sides and top - how about a different coloured backdrop if you have reservations over the black? A photo of say back lawn out of focus printed on non reflective paper eg fine art would do the trick.

Ron Conlon
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Jonathan. I have been thinking I need to print up an assortment of backgrounds, and your kind comment gives me the extra incentive to do it. I do like the control I have with setups and a black background is easy, but enough complacency, I will get to work on it. Thanks.