Canon 5D Mkiii
Canon F/2.8 300mm with 2x TCiii
f/7.1
1/2000
ISO 400

Thanks for having a look, and, any advice is warmly appreciated

Steve Kaluski
04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Hi William, lucky you got this close, well done, the Eider seems quite relaxed.

Looking on the laptop the image does look a tad dark, but the blacks are certainly clipped (choked), likewise the shadow areas. You need to adjust the exp, shadows, blacks etc selectively/accordingly, I might even pull back the Contrast to start, then start on the adjustments. Even on this web image it brings out more detail within the capture.

Not sure about the warmth, I know you had the warmest day today but... :w3

TFS
Steve

Joel Eade
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Beautiful bird with a nice pose and head angle. Looks like you were fighting some harsh light, I would consider getting rid of most of the specular highlights on the rocks, they are distracting IMHO. Exposure and sharpness on the bird look pretty good to me. Nice job getting close!

John Robinson
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi William
You had a hard job with a bird like this in those conditions. I remember doing them on the Farnes and the males can be a pain. Just reducing the contrast will be a start.. I use a little free software called Vimas for shadows /Highlights as I don't use PS
Well done any way
Cheers
John

Ian Wilson
04-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Hi William, You have plenty to work with despite the harsh light and you have lots of good advice on how to improve this image. Not much I can add - thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Ian