PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gerberas

Julie Kenward
05-16-2008, 09:23 PM
I couldn't help myself...I went back out and bought a few more Gerbera Daisy plants because they are just too much fun to photograph!

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
ISO 200, f4.5 @ 1/200
Eval Metering, AWB, Early afternoon sun
Handheld
Post-production: slight crop, adjustments in camera raw, soft glow action added.

John Cooper
05-17-2008, 12:47 AM
These Gerbera Daisies are very photogenic Julie - I was walking past a Bridal shop yesterday (they also do flowers) and spotted some Gerberas - couldn't resist buying a couple after seeing you images ;)
I like your composition here with the soft focus and soft light. Did you diffuse the sunlight (or cloudy sky) ?

Julie Kenward
05-17-2008, 02:58 AM
John, the plant was on my deck underneath a big shade tree so it was diffused "naturally" and then I added the soft glow treatment at about 50% opacity to soften it a bit more.

They are beautiful flowers, aren't they?

Harold Davis
05-17-2008, 04:37 AM
absolutely wonderful, julie!! love the soft glow action. works well here.

Robert O'Toole
05-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Like the petal shapes and the color.

Image would be better if you could balance the top and bottom of the frame better, fill flash or a reflector would be good in the field of a mask in Photoshop.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Julie,
Do like the soft feel here! Did you try this without the 2nd stem from the left that is more in the BG??? I think that would add compositionally. Agree with Robert on some of the brighter spots.......but I do Like the feel on this one.

Julie Kenward
05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
I really did think about getting rid of the "hot spots" but thought it added another dimension to the photo...another layer of color, if you will. (I'm still pretty new at this and that's why I love posting here...to get a really critical eye on my images so this is great!) As for the stem...I totally missed it. Maybe I need to go back and clone it out?

This is so great being able to have someone else take a look at my photos and show me what I'm missing. Now, for arguments sake, let me ask you this...if photography is all about light, then why wouldn't I want to leave in the places where the light is obviously bouncing around inside the flower? Is it that the degree of light is too harsh compared to the other tones in the image or is it that the lighter levels are not more evenly distributed throughout the photograph, leaving the image feeling "choppy?"

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Julie,
You have pretty much answered your own questions in the last sentence.......although rules are meant to be broken! If you look at most magazines......an ovewhelming amount of the images in macro are taken on an a bright overcast day or through some controlled technique (diffusers and artificial light). Look at the center flower in your image....my eye dances around the center flowers softness/textures and details........I could stay there for hours!.....but I'm drawn to the brighter areas ....thus taking away from the enjoyment. A diffuser/reflector would have helped in this case. Trying different approaches is extremely important if you are going to grow as a photographer.......but without the fundamental understanding of light and how it affect our subject will greatly limit our ability to then go out and break the "rules". These in fact are not rules, but guidelines. Master them and the rule breaking becomes much easier! Don't get discouraged! On my tours I can teach the technical stuff but I can't always teach people to see. When I look at your creations......you already have that ability in you......IMO this is the most important thing..........the technical stuff comes with practice!

Julie Kenward
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks, Roman. I'm going to play with this a bit in PS and see if I can't get a more pleasing balance. Thanks so much for your help. I love macro and nature photography and seem to be able to "see" it well...but the technical stuff is still lagging behind. I really appreciate the help.

Gus Cobos
05-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Julie,
Very nice composition and exposure. I love your yellow lady. No nits from me Julie. I like it the way it is. I don't mind that defused hot spot, it gives your image a touch of class in my book...:) Congrats...:D:D:D

Mary Stamper
05-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it's a lovely image, but I agree about the hot spot at the top. Another possibility would be to crop off some of the top and the right side.

Mike Moats
05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey Julie, I like the comp and soft feel and color. I would agree about the crop on the stem, and am not that bothered by the highlights.