PDA

View Full Version : Roseate Spoonbill Flight

Phil Lanoue
04-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Spoonbill flight across a South Carolina salt marsh this morning. Image shot as jpeg with minimal post processing.
Canon 7D with Canon 300 f4 and Canon 1.4 extender attached.
1/1600 6.3 ISO 200 in Manual mode.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/pal531/Recent%20Flights/SpoonbillFlightAcrosstheSaltMarsh.jpg

Alan Murphy
04-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Nice flight pose. Light looks a bit harsh and BG a little busy.

Phil Lanoue
04-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Nice flight pose. Light looks a bit harsh and BG a little busy.

Oh the lighting was awful, bright mid day sun. I don't mind the BG too much, yes it is busy but I think in this case the reeds add interest. I do wish the bird was maybe a bit further from it but you know how that goes.
Thanks for checking this out.

Marina Scarr
04-26-2014, 08:48 AM
You did a good job on your exposure considering and the spoony looks nice and sharp. I have to agree with Alan on the BG but ultimately it's your decision. The later or earlier you photograph, the less harsh the light. One of my favorite times to photograph is overcast light b/c you can shoot ALL day long!

Phil Lanoue
04-26-2014, 10:03 AM
You did a good job on your exposure considering and the spoony looks nice and sharp. I have to agree with Alan on the BG but ultimately it's your decision. The later or earlier you photograph, the less harsh the light. One of my favorite times to photograph is overcast light b/c you can shoot ALL day long!

I agree with you about the light and time of day etc. I was photographing in the salt marsh which is tide dependent and the wading birds such as this spoonie can mostly be found there around low tide. Unfortunately the low tide now is at mid day. Later next week it will be in early evening when the setting sunlight falls on it and really warms up the entire scene nicely.
I'm still quite ok with this BG since I generally strive to display an environmental aspect to my bird and alligator photos. I like to show where they are out earning their living. Every day I post examples of this on my wildlife photo blog.
Thanks for looking and commenting Marina I appreciate it.