PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Vision Sunrise

Diane Miller
04-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Taken a week ago from the highest point on Point Reyes. Canon 5D Mk II (the Mk III was on my wildlife lens, just in case). Canon 70-200 f/2.8 at 105mm. ISO 200 (should have been 100), f/11, 1/45. Tripod, mirror lockup, remote release. Cropped from the top and bottom, full width (horizontal format).

Normal adjustments in LR5, increase in contrast brought out pre-sunrise colors. I'm not sure if they should be toned down a little.

Some foreground would have been nice but the only option was some very scruffy vegetation down a steep slope (probably including poison oak) that would have been too close to focus on. Some fog was slowly forming in the mid-foreground (Tomales Bay) but the sun was up by the time it amounted to anything.

Don Railton
04-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi Diane
Another beautiful image from a high place... A bit of a speciality of yours I think.! I love the layered look and especially that you have kept detail in the darker foreground. I think your colours look very natural and so no, I don't think they need toning down. Well done..

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dvir Barkay
04-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Nice shot Diane, I always love shots with the layers and mist over the hills. There is a great mysterious quality to them. Maybe a bit more detail in the foreground would have been better, but overall a nice one.

Andrew McLachlan
04-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi Diane, love those layers and the warm tones in the sky...beautiful work! The pano crop works very nicely here as well.

Morkel Erasmus
04-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Pleasing image, Diane. Simplistic, moody and serene.

Diane Miller
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Dvir, I agree about something more needed in the "foreground" -- well, at the base of the image, anyway! The capture was incredibly low contrast, with a lot of marine layer moisture in the air, and not a lot I could do with it. I need to go back and hope for a clearer day.

Here's a quick rework, but still not what I'd like and I'm digging out noise now. I'll continue to mess with it, though.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words!