PDA

View Full Version : YCNH at Sunrise

Dave Phillips
05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
1/500. f/5.6, ISO 800, 400mm w/Tamron 1.4X

This is a Yellow Crown Night Heron from last June. It was early morning and
filtered sunlight was just striking the heron's face....but he never did turn his
head toward me, but I like the the tranquility of the shot.

Thanks in advance for comment/critique

Freddy Franzella
05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Love the intense stare on the bird! the lighting and the detail!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Great light and setting, I only wish for a better head angle.

Doug Brown
05-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I love the setting and the gorgeous light! Only missing element is that slight head turn. Thanks for posting Dave!

Randy Stout
05-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Dave:

I think the light is wonderful, I like the composition. Yes, a bit of head turn would be nice, but it is still a fine, fine image. Really invokes the mood of the setting.

Randy

Steve Canuel
05-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Hey Dave,
Don't tell the HAP but I like images like these where the viewer feels like he's part of the subject's world. Makes you want to look and see what's got his attention or wonder what he's thinking. Love the shiny reflection of the water and how it fades into the softer part of the BG.
Steve

Juan Aragonés
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
No critics here, oh well, an slight head turn would be nice but this image is so fine that I do not mind about that detail. Sometimes, the eye contact is a critical factor for an image to be better but in other instances (this one is a good example) the head turn is not as important. The bird looking towards an undetermined point adds a quiet mood to the scene (the bird is ignoring the photographer and seems very relaxed, thinking on its own business;)). The green light of the BG shines like gold! Love it all around

Grace Scalzo
05-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Dave, I agree with Steve. The setting and light are so beautiful, almost painterly. I like the mood, too.

Steve Maxson
05-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm firmly in agreement with Steve and Grace about the head angle. Images like this are interesting because it makes you wonder what the bird is looking at. A different head angle, in this case, would produce a different image - not a better one, just different. :)

Ed Erkes
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I like the head angle just as it is!! Beautiful composition and lighting!

Raymond Barlow
05-17-2008, 12:50 PM
this is excellent Dave, the environment really makes the shot, one of your best images.

Dave Phillips
05-17-2008, 07:54 PM
thank you for all the comments....I guess this image flies ok without the head turn