PDA

View Full Version : A couple of anemonefish

Mike Poole
04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
I've given you all a couple of fish free weeks (!) so here's one I took a while back. I like the dual pose, but am always happy to get PP advice (well any advice really!).

Nikon D200, 60mm macro ISO 160 f10, 1/160th

John Robinson
04-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi Mike
Love water stuff - although most of mine are beetles !! I reckon this could work with just the one in focus fish. Not sure how you,d crop it though - would go bothways I suppose.
Nice image whatever, PP looks OK to me. D200- good olsd work horse. _ I,ve still got two. When you hold one it feels like a real camera !!
Good stuff
John

Rachel Hollander
04-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Mike - it almost looks like the fish swallowed lights the way they are glowing. Great color coming through. The oof fish and lhs looks like it has a bit of noise. I went for a vertical crop for a more in your face sort of feel. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

John Robinson
04-23-2014, 06:48 PM
That's the one I would have gone for and was about to post
Cheers
John

Loi Nguyen
04-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi Mike, we don't usually see fish here, so it is a welcome change. Rachel's RP is a good one, but I wonder of you have more room on the left to keep the OOF fish. I think having 2 is also nice and the OOF fish would give some depth, but it is a bit tight. Loi

Mike Poole
04-24-2014, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The reason I like this one is due to the way the 2 fish are posing, they are a reasonably easy fish to approach but flit around quickly, so while getting one in a shot is pretty easy, 2 takes a bit more time. I did feel sorry for my dive buddy who was almost falling asleep watching!

I would have liked a bit more room to the left of the shot, but unfortunately this is all there is in the original!

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Hi Mike, I too prefer the OP, having two subjects in, the mirrored angle composition etc all seem to work as they emerge from the tenticals.

Another image (as per Colin's) that has suffered from low SS and sadly it lacks detail/sharpness within the front portion of the face of the main subject, although the web image is never ideal to try and work on compared to the RAW, but occasionally it works. Using some Curves, Midtone & Luminosity adjustments, it helps in parts, not dramatically, but... likewise ramping up some selective USM. I might also do some housekeeping and remove some of the marks & bubbles LHC.

Might be worth poetic in macro to, as Steve M may have some better thoughts.

TFS
Steve

edwardselfe
04-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Cool photo - don't see many fish. I would absolutely leave the second fish in, it makes it for me. I think the yellows are a little hot on the face of the rh fish, and I would reduce slightly to keep a bit more detail?
Love the colours and the relaxing feel of it.
Ed

Daniel Cadieux
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I too love the dual inquisitive poses, and like the advice Steve has given you. A refreshing image for sure!

Marc Mol
04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Much prefer to have the 2 fish in and all nits aside the symmetry/comp really works.

Mike Poole
04-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for looking and advising everyone

Andreas Liedmann
04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Mike another UW stunner from you , i love them all .
The two needs to be in.I think Steve gave some good suggestions to follow to take this image further .
Love the two in the anemone and the colors are gorgeous .
Well done

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Hey Mike. I prefer the OP with the mirrored fish, and I like their luminous glow.
Can't add more to what others have expounded on already. I am enjoying seeing some underwater stuff, keep them coming!

Gabriela Plesea
05-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Hello Mike,

I too prefer the OP with the mirrored fish:tinysmile_shy_t:, and I just love the colours! Do keep them coming, the underwater world is quite fascinating and not all of us have the opportunity to see it!

Kind regards,