PDA

View Full Version : Scilla

Anita Bower
04-23-2014, 06:38 AM
These little flowers grace my front walk in early Spring. I brought some in to photograph.
105mm macro, tripod.
Crop, selectively darken, lighten, high pass, saturation. Viveza, CEP Lighten center.
Textures: Kim Klassen: (http://www.kimklassencafe.com/) Providence (Linear Burn 76%), May (Soft Light 27%).

Dennis Bishop
04-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I like the color, the diagonal, and the orientation of the flowers in relation to both the stem and the flow of the image. It's nice that the stem doesn't point directly to the corners. Great vignette, too.

Diane Miller
04-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Beautiful!! Wonderful that the detail can come through the texture!

Wonder how it would look rotated 90 right (but with the vase cropped, of course).

Anita Bower
04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Dennis and Diane. Diane: I just checked, and I didn't brush the textures off the flowers. I think it worked because the textures were light.

Randall Farhy
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Anita, another strong piece that works in more than one composition. I prefer the OP because it does contain the vase as an anchor point. A version without it would be just as strong, but more expected? I could also see this a s a vertical, again without the vase or even rotated so the vase is in the upper right with water drips added as though it were just knocked over. The color palette is easy on the eyes with just enough pop to accentuate the subject.

Anita Bower
04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Anita, another strong piece that works in more than one composition. I prefer the OP because it does contain the vase as an anchor point. A version without it would be just as strong, but more expected? I could also see this a s a vertical, again without the vase or even rotated so the vase is in the upper right with water drips added as though it were just knocked over. The color palette is easy on the eyes with just enough pop to accentuate the subject.
Thanks, Randall. I took some shots without the vase. Will see how they look. I was inspired by my Snowdrop image which has a bit of vase in it to try similar compositions. I was trying to think of what I liked about the vase, and you named it--unexpected.

Wendy Kates
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Anita, I love the colors in this image, which somehow accentuate the delicate petals of the flower. I really like the composition too...especially the diagonal stem. The whole image evokes a sense of peacefulness.

Cheryl Slechta
04-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi, Anita, lovely image and use of textures - you pick just the right ones for the image. My favorite part of the image is the vase in the corner - I love the placement and just the hint of vase. Very nice:S3:

Anita Bower
04-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Thank you Wendy and Cheryl. I appreciate knowing how my images feel to others.