PDA

View Full Version : Bar-tailed Godwit - super close-up

Įkos Lumnitzer
04-23-2014, 01:48 AM
I photographed this Bar-tailed Godwit at Long Reef, Sydney, in November last year when I took a friend from Brisbane there, as he loves shorebirds.

Used kneepads to crawl on the rock platform and get to less than six meters from this bird. It was so comfortable, that it even took a few zzzzz's in front of me.

Canon EOS 1D3, 500/4L IS USM, stacked 2x and 1.4x converters (1,400mm), ISO1600, f/22, 1/400th, tripod and Wimberley, nearly full frame shot.

http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/9455-1/Bar-tailed-Godwit_X7P6849.jpg

Colin Driscoll
04-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Greetings Akos :S3: some feat carrying that gear on your knees! It looks like there was a stiff breeze too. Terrific feather detail but I would be inclined to remove both highlights and brighten the reflection in the eye a little.

Grace Scalzo
04-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Wonderful IQ from stacked converters. Agree on removal of second catchlight. While this is indeed an interesting study in details, I would be interested in seeing some of your frames before you got this close…it is quite tight in the frame.

Stu Bowie
04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi Akos, good to see you showing your face and posting again. :w3 Excellent IQ for stacked TC's, and good DOF too. The feather detail shows up nicely, and I do like the blue BG surrounding the bird.

Jim Crosswell
04-23-2014, 02:54 PM
I like the feather details, sharpness, exposure and IQ. I agree with removing the second catchlight. Excellent image Akos.

Įkos Lumnitzer
04-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Wonderful IQ from stacked converters. Agree on removal of second catchlight. While this is indeed an interesting study in details, I would be interested in seeing some of your frames before you got this close…it is quite tight in the frame.

Thanks Grace,
I guess it is tight, because I had to frame tightly, so I tried to put the head/eye on the upper right ROT point. Regarding the second catchlight, I was not worried, as it is a natural reflection of the sun from the rock pool, so never considered removing it.

Here are a few shots of the same bird. There were two and I took many, many images, just haven't processed all of them.

http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/v/ausbirds/sandpipers/bartailedgodwit/

Daniel Cadieux
04-24-2014, 07:33 AM
As posted a bit more room above would work. Isn't it great when you get he trust of a wild subject like this!!

Binu John
04-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Lovely closeup portrait! Lot of feather details! Yes, the bird looks very comfortable even if you were that close!