PDA

View Full Version : New Park Rangers Hired

john crookes
05-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Due to increasing needs for Rangers and decreasing funds to support the National Refuge System
The Goverment has resorted to hireing Kingbirds to Patrol the refuges.

Good thing is they work for cheap bad thing is their chirp is worse than their Bite

Nikon D3
400mm 2.8
2X EXT
F 8
1/2000th
ISO 400
Fill Flash
Monopod

Gus Cobos
05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi John,
I like this little guy. So now he works for The Department of The Enterior as a ranger!!!:eek::eek::D
I like the concept and composition on this one. I took the liberty of making a few tweaks...:)
I gave it a few degrees counter clock wise, increased the contrast hust a wee bit, increased saturation just a tad and gave him just a sprinkle of sharpening...:D What do you think?:cool:

Dave Phillips
05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi John,
:eek::eek:.........I took the liberty of making a few tweaks...:)
I gave it a few degrees counter clock wise, increased the contrast hust a wee bit, increased saturation just a tad and gave him just a sprinkle of sharpening...:D What do you think?:cool:

sorry Gus but I must say that your contrast has blocked up what shadow detail there was and finished blowing the highlights. Your sharpening has added even more sparkling halos. I mean this comment in a friendly way.
Is your monitor calibrated, can you see the halos etc?

Gus Cobos
05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Sorry Dave, No I do not see them, I do need to calibrate my monitor. I am however working out of a laptop screen...:D Friendly point taken. What calibration software do you recommend???:eek:

Dave Phillips
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
most "hardware" calibration devices work quite well Gus.....not sure how good you will get with a laptop though.
Maybe someone else will have a good input re: laptop lcd

apologies for interrupting your thread John

Lana Hays
05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
John
Kingbirds can certainly be pretty good sentries if they need be....a great bird for the sign. Did you use shadow/highlight recovery on this one....or at least on the bird? It appears to have a halo surrounding the bird. I like this one....just think it needs a little tweaking.

Alfred Forns
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Love the sentry and I'm sure is taking the job seriously !!!! The one thing that would have help is softer light !! Difficult to do much with harsh light and these birds !!!! Would select the bird for S/H to avoid the halo !!!