PDA

View Full Version : Snakes head fritillary

Jonathan Ashton
04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro & polariser ISO 200 +0.3, 1/250 sec f4
I managed to isolate this flower head and I muted some extraneous grass blades but deliberately left a hint there.
I have often wondered why they are called snake's head fritillary the open flowers don't particularly look like a snake's head to me but maybe the unopened flower does - well a bit?

Steve Maxson
04-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Jon. I really like the curved flow of the stem and the water drops add interest. I also like the clean background and even light and you have good sharpness where you most need it. I can see that the long, narrow leaves make this a compositional challenge - I like where you placed the main stem, but the leaf on the right leads my eye out of the frame. Including all of that leaf would not improve the comp (IMO) - maybe cropping more off the right would help. It would be interesting to hear opinions from others. :S3: You might also consider tweaking the image just a bit with a brightness/contrast layer to add a little more snap - to see if you like that better. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
04-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks Steve, I did mess around with the composition, I could not find one that immediately pleased me.