PDA

View Full Version : American Redstart Female

john crookes
05-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Photographed in the Hellcat Swamp area of Parker River National Wildlife Refuge on Plum Island MA
Nikon D3
400mm 2.8
2X Ext
1/160 th
F 8
ISO 400
Fill Flash with Better Beamer
Monopod

Alfred Forns
05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Good image using the monopod John !!! Not bad for all that magnification and the slow shutter speed. !!! I like the pose and exposure. Might work on the eye a bit. With your D3 I would not hesitate to up the ISO. I don't even bother using NoiseNInja till I get over 1600 ISO It is some kind of clean!!!

The dark band on the back and oof branch make a V behind the bird which catches my attention. The main perch could be smaller it is sort of overwhelming the bird. I do like the positioning in frame and detail !!! Not sure if it was practical but taking a step to the right might have cleaned the bg some? Very good image John, just a couple of tweaks !!!!

Robert O'Toole
05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Agree with Al's points, great job with the mag and the SS. I would also work on the face and eye to sharpen it up and also with NR on the BG.

Good job.

Robert

Dave Phillips
05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
sharp with all that reach John....recommended pp and it's a good 'un!

The perch is quite large, but that's the shot this time

john crookes
05-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Taken all comments into account

Imposible to go any farther right although i wish i could have but you can not leave the boardwalk and i was leaning as far right as i could and it was quite dark in this particular area of the swamp as i walked through got down as low as i could and fired off this one and went to change the iso but the bird vanished as they can only do..here is a reworked image though