PDA

View Full Version : Downey Woodpecker

Grady Weed
05-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Today's image is a Downey Woodpecker. This is one of about 4 that come all day long to feed on the 3 different suet we place around the yard. We also have Hairy Woodpecker that will show up once in awhile. We were surprised by a Indigo Bunting this morning too. We have 3 male Baltimore Orioles and 1 female eating the grape jelly we put out for them. Of course the Goldfinches are constantly showing up and eating the sunflower hearts. The Ruby Throated Humming Birds are back too. Hope you like the image, let me know if you can.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 5/17/2008 08:51:27, Shutter Speed 1/400Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length: 600.0 mm, RAW, AL Servo AF. Tripod with Wimberley head. Cropped for a 8x10. 80% of frame here. Almost 0 PS work.

Alfred Forns
05-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Sure have a nice yard Grady !!!!

I like the pose and that you got him at close to eye level. Well exposed and sharp. Would work a little around the eye to lighten some. The big deal here is the tail.... its cut off !!! Nee a little more room at the bottom and would probably crop some form the back !! Excellent image !!!

Doug Brown
05-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I would only add to Al's suggestions that although not blown, the whites on the breast are pretty hot. Very nice image overall!

Robert O'Toole
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
How cool Grady I like the image alot. You did a good job with the contrastly situation although I agree with Al and Doug on the head and the whites, they are both fixable.
I would get rid of the leaves in the LL corner since they are so bright anyway, the distract a little.

Robert

Freddy Franzella
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Nits mentioned already Grady. pretty nice image!

Grady Weed
05-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I have taken note of your comments. I appreciate your observations. Thanks!