PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rattle

John Robinson
04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Yellow rattle (Rhinathus minor)
An interesting plant which is partly parasitic on grass roots and is usually found in impoverished grassland. gets its name from the fact that the seeds rattle in the dry pods when ripe. They are spread by the windblowing the stems around so are not catapulted by an action of the plant. Getting pics of the process needed some inginuity to say the least !
Mamyia 645 Copied from transparency taken 1978
Ecktachrome 100 asa film. Three flashes - two rear- one on camera
F22
Cheers
JohnR

Steve Maxson
04-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi John. Nice comp, the black background works well, and you captured great "action." I'm impressed that you were able to do this well in the days of film! My only real critique would be the areas of blown whites on the plant. (This would be so much easier to do now using digital and having instant feedback!) Diffusers on your flashes could help a lot to soften the light and reduce or eliminate the hot spots - but I expect you already know this. :S3: Nevertheless, this is a striking image!

Jonathan Ashton
04-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Nicely caught, the background doesn't work for me in this particular image but very well taken.

Jerry van Dijk
04-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Very nice John. I like that the action is shown by the motion blurred seeds. Quality is outstanding. From your series from the old days of plants shedding pollen or seeds, I think I wouldn't have been able to tell this one was taken with an analog camera.