PDA

View Full Version : Deadhorse Point

Michael Lloyd
04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Deadhorse Point. Deadhorse Point State Park, UT

Since the NP's were closed during my 2 week tour through NM, CO, UT, and AZ I had to improvise and visit a few state parks instead

EOS 5DMKII manual
Zeis Distagon T* 2.8/15 ZE
Tripod

ISO 100
1s@ f11

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/img/s5/v129/p389214678-5.jpg

Don Railton
04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Hi Michael

This is amazing country & colour, I love the sky too. It's a pity about that road however. As much as I like the sky, I think the composition would be better If you cropped a bit off the top to bring more emphasis onto the landscape. The Horizon IMHO is a bit of a fence that traps the eye either above or below it. Cropping from the top might hold the eye in the best bit... I am also thinking that the image would have been a little sharper, have you run a bit of NR on it..?

regards

DON

Michael Lloyd
04-15-2014, 02:34 AM
Hi Michael

This is amazing country & colour, I love the sky too. It's a pity about that road however. As much as I like the sky, I think the composition would be better If you cropped a bit off the top to bring more emphasis onto the landscape. The Horizon IMHO is a bit of a fence that traps the eye either above or below it. Cropping from the top might hold the eye in the best bit... I am also thinking that the image would have been a little sharper, have you run a bit of NR on it..?

regards

DON

I've got this printed 40x60 on aluminum and hanging in a gallery. The fine detail in the large print is amazing. The original TIF is over 1Gb. The sad thing about viewing an image on the web is that by the time it's uploaded and linked an image can lose some midtone contrast which translates to loss of sharpness. I'm not seeing that but I've seen it a few times so maybe I'm numb to it. :S3:

Thanks for taking the time to comment

David Stephens
04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Beautiful colors and details. I'll bet that the print is spectacular.

That "road" is really a trail, isn't it? I think it adds interest for those of us that have been there and walked the trail. This is a much touched and much loved place that still retains it beauty, even with things like trails entering our pictures. Many of my GC shots have trails in them and I've never thought of them as detracting elements.

These kinds of images work here on our computers, but nothing compares to a big ole print.

Dave Mills
04-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Well done Michael! The sky has enough interest to allow that much space for it. IMO the road is a non issue.

Michael Lloyd
04-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Dave- I was really lucky with the sky. I was only there for 24 hours and the evening images were a bust

David- there is a trail along the butte that comes out of the lower right corner. I assume that photographers that want a different vantage point use it to get to the lower point but I don't know that for sure. There is a road "way down there" (if I read the map right) but road or trail I don't mind it at all. Metal prints (not metallic) really work well for an image like this one imho

Dvir Barkay
04-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Awesome shot, I think that with the sky it could go both ways, a 16x9 crop could work very well here as well. Something about the colors looks a bit funny to me personally, I think the blues in the sky have a bit of a strange blue color that throws me off, I would personally take out a bit of magenta out of it, and see if the different color would make it look better. Still a very nice, and with that lens, it better make for an awesome print!

Michael Lloyd
04-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Awesome shot, I think that with the sky it could go both ways, a 16x9 crop could work very well here as well. Something about the colors looks a bit funny to me personally, I think the blues in the sky have a bit of a strange blue color that throws me off, I would personally take out a bit of magenta out of it, and see if the different color would make it look better. Still a very nice, and with that lens, it better make for an awesome print!

Thanks. The difference in cost between the Zeiss 15mm and Canon 14mm lens is negligible. The difference in image quality is noticeable. I shoot at night quite a bit and the infinity stop on the Zeiss 21mm and 15mm make them worth the difference. 99% of the time that's where the focus setting is and I don't miss AF at all (on those lenses)

David Stephens
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Dave- I was really lucky with the sky. I was only there for 24 hours and the evening images were a bust

David- there is a trail along the butte that comes out of the lower right corner. I assume that photographers that want a different vantage point use it to get to the lower point but I don't know that for sure. There is a road "way down there" (if I read the map right) but road or trail I don't mind it at all. Metal prints (not metallic) really work well for an image like this one imho

Luck is always accepted. You can only plan and hope, but then when the planets align, you have to be ready and capable, which you clearly were.

About prints on metal. I tried one as a test and found it too reflective for usage in my sunny office. I loved the colors, but even the overhead lights would sometime reflect too much on the surface. I think that I used Bay Photo and they did a great job with colors and I thought it was stunning as I unwrapped it, but after I hung it on my wall, I started having problems with reflections. Is there something that you've done to combat that?

Michael Lloyd
04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Luck is always accepted. You can only plan and hope, but then when the planets align, you have to be ready and capable, which you clearly were.

About prints on metal. I tried one as a test and found it too reflective for usage in my sunny office. I loved the colors, but even the overhead lights would sometime reflect too much on the surface. I think that I used Bay Photo and they did a great job with colors and I thought it was stunning as I unwrapped it, but after I hung it on my wall, I started having problems with reflections. Is there something that you've done to combat that?

I haven't seen a problem but at the moment it's hanging in a gallery (and about to move to another) so I can't look for it. I used Image Wizards for the Deadhorse Point image and selected "Ultra Gloss" for a finish. I used Bay Photo for a couple of black and white images and if I remember right I used their satin finish. Image Wizards offers satin finish.

I like Image Wizards. Not more than than Bay but I like their personal touch. I talked to the guy that makes the prints when I had some questions about a proof that they sent. i like having that kind of access.

Andrew McLachlan
04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi Michael, beautiful work as usual! The radiating cloud formations work very well with the terrain below.