PDA

View Full Version : theme: desaturation

Nancy Bell
04-12-2014, 03:58 PM
I desaturated this Indian elephant 3 times; once with each, PS convert to B&W, Nik B&W, Topaz B&W, using various sliders and masks. Then a treatment with Topaz buz sim & fractalius. Then a texture overlay from Design Cut.

I am leaving today for 3 weeks in Africa. Two weeks at a photo workshop in Botswana and 1 week visiting family in Cape Town, South Africa. I'll check in when I can!

Anita Bower
04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Nice work! I like the effects you achieved on the elephant, and that s/he is eating. The shape on the right is distracting to me and I can't figure out what it is.
Have a wonderful three weeks!!

Wendy Kates
04-13-2014, 08:33 AM
The variation in light and shadow is very interesting, and brings complexity as well as beauty to the elephant. I, too, am not sure what the shape on the right is: I think the elephant could stand on its own as an image. Have a wonderful time in Africa: I'll look forward to viewing the results of what you learn at the photo workshop!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Nancy,

Greetings. I particularly like the skin texture and the way one can almost hear the munching of the leaves. Have a great trip.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Randall Farhy
04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Striking balance between the positive and negative spaces, I particularly like how the detail shows through in just the right places, lending to that balance. Have a great trip!

Hazel Grant
04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Agree with above re right hand image. I think if it were mine I'd also darken that light triangle on top of the head. Have fun!!!!!!! and bring back lots more elephant (and other) photos!

Nancy Bell
04-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks all! That shape on the right is the tree the elephant is ripping branches off. It did become very abstract during processing. I was thinking it balanced the elephant, especially since I have just a sliver of a front leg. Maybe I should have masked some of the effects from it, so it stayed more realistic.

Presently I am at Dulles Airport in Washington waiting for my next flight to go overseas.

Kerry Perkins
04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Very nice Nancy, I like the look you achieved. It reminds me of a woodcut or other transfer process. Have a great trip, we'll be looking forward to your images!

Cheryl Slechta
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi, Nancy, I love the abstract look of the tree:S3: Great image - hope you get lots more on your trip!

Jackie Schuknecht
04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I think the image would work without the tree. Have a great and safe trip!

Arthur Morris
04-29-2014, 01:26 PM
I like everything about this one. I'd love to see a bit more of the elephant. And I'd love to see the original. Have a great trip.