PDA

View Full Version : Trees

Diane Miller
04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm always seeing tree silhouettes that I like but they're pretty boring by themselves. These were combined with a texture I found, most likely on the side of a dumpster, in Hard Light mode. (I love dumpsters!) Then above the texture I did a B/W layer of the trees in Luminosity mode which changed things a lot more than I thought it would, but hard to describe how without just showing a before and after.

Jackie Schuknecht
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I like the trees Dianne, and I am glad you like dumpsters:bg3:, good ideas for textures. I might reduce the opacity a bit as I find the yellows competing for my attention.

Diane Miller
04-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I see what you mean, Jackie -- it looked a little different when I was working on it -- not really different, just a perception thing. I mean, it looks different in the context here...

The yellow and tonalities of some of the areas do look like they could use attention -- I'll tweak it and repost. I wouldn't address the yellow with opacity, though. Lowering opacity on a layer can make it look odd. I'd make a Hue-Sat adjustment layer and tweak the yellows, and either leave it above all the other layers or clip it to the texture layer. I'd expect the two to give different looks.

Randall Farhy
04-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Fascinating how the dumpster texture mimics a sky bg. I like the effect on the trees too. Looking forward to the RP!

Judy Howle
04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I really like the overall look and the texture but I agree about the yellow being too strong. In addition to hue/sat you could mask some of it off the trees and not have to change the opacity of the whole texture.

Kerry Perkins
04-12-2014, 02:55 PM
I like the nice painterly look you achieved in the image Diane! Very nicely done. The yellow bits are easily dealt with, overall a very nice artistic presentation.

Nancy Bell
04-12-2014, 03:25 PM
OMGoodness! I will never casually pass by a dumpster again! I'll watch for your repost.

Diane Miller
04-13-2014, 05:53 PM
I wasn't able to do as much as I thought with the yellow, but did manage to tone it down a little.

Sandy Witvoet
04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Amazing work, Diane! I like both images. (taking advantage of a dumpster is certainly unique!) Great artistic quality here.

Cheryl Slechta
04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Repost looks good to me, Diane:S3:

Anita Bower
04-19-2014, 04:23 AM
These look like trees reflected in water. I have slight preference for second post. I really like the textures in the trees. I wonder what it would look like with the blue texture going horizontally instead of vertically. I'm going to try B&W layer at luminosity.

Diane Miller
04-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Interesting thought, Anita. I always seem to think about a vertical texture with trees -- will see if I can come up with something that works with horizontals. (Maybe not the same trees -- who knows??)

Thanks for the idea!

Anita Bower
04-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Interesting thought, Anita. I always seem to think about a vertical texture with trees -- will see if I can come up with something that works with horizontals. (Maybe not the same trees -- who knows??)

Thanks for the idea!
The reason I thought of making the texture horizontal, is that it would mimic the sky.

Jackie Schuknecht
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I like the repost better Dianne:S3:.