PDA

View Full Version : Yellowthroat Warbler

Bill Jobes
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Here's a common yellowthroat warbler at Bombay Hook, DE.

1Ds Mark III
1/800
F-5.6
ISO 640
Canon 500 mm w/1.4 TC

-Bill Jobes

Doug Brown
05-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I like the look back at you by the bird. Nice perch. Good sharpness and BG. Not sure how I feel about the composition; I don't see how you could crop it any better, but I'm not crazy about how the frame is evenly divided by the branch. Overall though, I like it.

Gayle Clement
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Beautiful pose and really nice perch. I would think a little more room on top would help with the concern Doug has.

Chris van Rooyen
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Great composition - head angle and eye contact is powerful. Smooth background and soft light adds to delicate feel. I generally try to avoid strong horizontal lines but the plumes soften it well enough to make it work really well.

Doug Brown
05-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Here's an idea: add some canvas on all sides and rotate the crop a little. Kind of like this. That way you don't have such a strong horizontal element.

Bill Jobes
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Here's an idea: add some canvas on all sides and rotate the crop a little. Kind of like this. That way you don't have such a strong horizontal element.

That's a great suggestion, Doug.
The angle you introduced adds a lot of dynamic tension to the image.
I think it's just what it needed, without harming the integrity of the photo.
I really appreciate the suggestion, as I'm sure others do as well.
You really taught me something!
-Bill

Bill Jobes
05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Beautiful pose and really nice perch. I would think a little more room on top would help with the concern Doug has.

Many thanks, Gayle!
I think you and Doug were exactly right about the horizontal issue.

Bill Jobes
05-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Great composition - head angle and eye contact is powerful. Smooth background and soft light adds to delicate feel. I generally try to avoid strong horizontal lines but the plumes soften it well enough to make it work really well.

Thank you, Chris.
Your voice made the 'horizontal' concern unanimous.
I think Doug really nailed the solution, with the adjustment he made on the angle.

Doug Brown
05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the compliment Bill. I think we both learned something with this photo.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I like the pose and setting. The crop Doug suggested works well.